What is… Self-Efficacy

MH@H insights into psychology: self-efficacy

In this series, I dig a little deeper into the meaning of psychology-related terms.  This week’s term: self-efficacy

Essentially, self-efficacy refers to our belief in our ability to get shit done.  Or, for a more textbook definition, there’s this quote from psychologist Alfred Bandura: “Perceived self-efficacy refers to belief in one’s agentive capabilities, that one can produce given levels of attainment.”

Bandura first proposed the concept of self-efficacy as part of his social cognitive theory.  The theory includes six constructs:

• reciprocal determinism of person and behaviour
  • behavioural capability (actual capacity to act)
  • observational learning
  • reinforcements from the environment related to the behaviour
  • expectations of a behaviour’s consequences
  • self-efficacy

Self-efficacy is linked to an internal locus of control, meaning the individual believes that they have control over what happens to them.  Someone with high self-efficacy believes they have control over factors that make them successful, but they are more likely to attribute failures to external factors.

People with higher levels of self-efficacy tend to be more resilient, as isolated failures don’t chip away at the overall self-efficacy.  They are also more likely to use adaptive coping mechanisms in response to stressful or challenging situations, and less likely to use avoidance.  High self-efficacy is also a protective factor against anxiety and depression, and is linked to greater engagement in health promotion activities.

While self-esteem relates to our belief in our own worth, self-efficacy relates to functionality.  Strong self-esteem can improve self-efficacy.  Low self-esteem can lead to the perception that tasks are more difficult than they actually are, which tends to increase levels of stress.  Behaviour becomes more erratic and unpredictable.  Barriers are more likely to lead to giving up, whereas people with high self-efficacy would tend to put in more effort.

One of the measures available for self-efficacy is the General Self-Efficacy Scale.  I scored a 17/40, but I think that’s less about my sense of self-efficacy and more to do with the fact that I know the limitations of my illness in certain types of situations.  The scale asks about some of those kinds of situations, and doesn’t offer a way to account for diminished capacity.  In the past when I have not been depressed my self-efficacy was generally quite good.

Bandura’s theory identifies four ways to improve self-efficacy:

• mastery experiences (being able to master new skills)
  • vicarious experiences through observing high self-efficacy modelled by other people in our lives
  • verbal persuasion (being told you can do something)
  • emotional wellness and interpretations of physiological responses

In keeping with the last point, I think having mental illness well controlled is an important element of boosting self-efficacy.

How would you characterize your own self-efficacy?

You can find the rest of my What Is series here.

Sources:

Mental Health @ Home Store Therapy mini-ebook collection

15 thoughts on “What is… Self-Efficacy

Well, when I’m not knocked down by a migraine, I think I accomplish my goals.
    Again, a big list keeper. It helps me maitain keeping up with things I need or have to get done.
    Sorry if I read this incorrectly, but is what I just stated part of self-efficacy?

2. kachaiweb says:

I believe I have a problem with that. I went to dramatherapy yesterday, for the very first time and that came out as a big point to work on. I had my troubles in the past with it but I must say experiencing mental health difficulties on top of that, didn’t help. I believe it is like you said; when we experience more efficiency to cope with the mental challenges, that our self effiency and self- esteem will get a boost. Interesting post! I really like the Friday series 🙂

3. Kari Anne Watterson says:

This was an unbelievably helpful explanation for what I’m coming to realize is my greatest challenge: believing that I can get things done. At one point in my life, I would say I had a high sense of self-efficacy. This has definitely declined in the past decade or so. The only way I could really describe it to my friends is that I felt I lost my mojo. Your post gives me a way to actually articulate my struggles in a tangible way. And I so appreciate that you included ways to improve self-efficacy. Working on mastery, for one, makes complete sense to me. Thanks so much, Ashley. With gratitude, Kari

4. Paula Light says:

I have a bit of a weird answer to this. I know that I do not cope well with stress, drama, change, or any sort of difficulty other than meaningless fun games and puzzles. So, I make a huge effort to avoid all that. Consequently, I feel great about my ability to handle my tightly controlled lifestyle.

Interesting! I’ve been pushing myself really hard today to finally get my bedroom cleaned! There’s enough fur up here to make another Big Woof. It’s just overwhelming, and in this heat wave, exhausting. Thank goodness my dad warned me not to pack up the AC yet this year! It’s felt like a mental challenge like, “I know I can clean my room; I just have to force myself to do it,” so your blog post made me think of it.

I guess I have a lot of self-efficacy…? I don’t know how to use any of the machines at the gym yet except the treadmill–for now, that’s my go-to machine. But I hope to master them all over time!!

When I got into woodworking many years ago, I felt self-conscious at first when I’d shop at the home stores, but then I realized that I belonged there just as much as everyone else! Wood, fun, let’s buy some wood!

6. Jake Hinds says:

I would say my self efficacy goes up and down from day to day, but I think compared to a couple of years ago my self efficacy is a lot higher. But again, it does depend on how I’m feeling.

Excellent read 🙂