Ashley L Peterson, Blogger & Author
My newest book, Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis, is now available – see the official book page for details on where to find it!
Welcome! My name is Ashley L. Peterson, and I blog under the username ashleyleia. Mental health has played a huge role in both my work and personal life for many years.
- I have treatment-resistant major depressive disorder, for which I’ve been hospitalized multiple times.
- I’ve been a mental health nurse for 15 years, and have a Master of Psychiatric Nursing degree from Brandon University.
- I’m a former pharmacist, and have a BScPharm from the University of British Columbia.
I began Mental Health @ Home in October 2017 when I wasn’t working much because of my illness, and I wanted something to do that would give me more of a sense of purpose. I began blogging with no real idea what I was doing, but I was quickly hooked by the power of writing and the amazing online mental health community.
My blogging approach is to be as genuine as I can be and cut through BS, with a mix of personal and informative posts. Together we can empower each other.
A big part of why I’ve chosen to share my own experiences is to help raise awareness about mental health issues and combat stigma. Our voices are the strongest weapon we have in the fight to stop stigma. Let’s start this conversation and keep it going strong!
I’ve also written:
- Psych Meds Made Simple (from MH@H Books)
- Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis (from MH@H Books)
- A story for the upcoming book The Silent Scream, a project by Maria Alfieri