What is… Herd Behaviour

Insights into Psychology: Herd Behaviour - image of a cartoon sheep

In this series, I dig a little deeper into the meaning of psychology-related terms.  This week’s term is herd behaviour.

Are we people or sheeple?

Turns out we’re actually a lot more sheeplish than we might like to think that we are, and herd behaviour is exhibited across a range of different contexts.

Kameda and Hastie (2015) describe herding as an ” alignment of thoughts or behaviours of individuals in a group” that tends to arise from local interactions rather than as a result of direction by a central authority.  The equivalent of herding among land mammals is also seen in birds’ flocking behaviour and bees’ hive behaviour.

As a cultural species, we naturally draw upon socially acquired knowledge and social narratives.  A classic social psychology experiment by Soloman Asch showed that people tend to public follow group norms even when they realize the norm is based on something that’s inaccurate.

Panic buying is one type of herd behaviour.  It may be triggered by fear of shortages, but panic buying itself can actually result in shortages.  Panic buying has been seen with the COVID-19 pandemic, and while things like masks and hand sanitizer are logically connected, the toilet frenzy very clearly shows herd behaviour.  There is no logical reason to hoard toilet paper, and it clearly has no impact on whether or not people get sick, yet store shelves are empty and people are fighting over the last couple of rolls.

The first concerns about the toilet paper supply in relation to the coronavirus pandemic were Tweets from Hong Kong on February 5, 2020.  A month later, the toilet paper panic buying had already spread globally.  Stories and images on news sites and social media played a pivotal role in turning some tweets in Hong Kong to a global frenzy.

New threats that aren’t well understood are most likely to provoke herd behaviour responses.  Car crashes regularly kill people (36,560 in the U.S. in 2018), but no one has been changing their car use behaviour because of that.  The influenza virus kills large numbers of people each year (12,000-61,000 annually in the U.S. according to the CDC) yet plenty of people choose not to get vaccinated.  Suicide kills almost 800,000 people globally every year (as per the W.H.O.), but no one seems to be panicking about that.

I suspect that most people would deny herd behaviour even if they are engaging it.  After all, if it was logical, people wouldn’t be hoarding toilet paper in the first place.  I would be curious how much of a difference social media has made in all of this.  The news media may have their own share of sensationalism, but it seems like social media selectively amplifies the most sensational content.

Once we get caught up in sensationalism and fear kicks in, it’s rather late in the process to avoid sheepling.  Perhaps the best thing to do is to limit exposure, especially to social media feeds that are full of fear-provoking content.  I think it’s also helpful to be aware of that natural tendency to become sheeple, so we can more easily recognize and then resist the pull in that direction.

Baaaaaaaaa.

sheep

You can find the rest of my What Is series here.

Sources:

therapy mini-ebook collection: ACT Fundamentals, CBT Fundamentals, DBT Skills, and PTSD Treatment Options

34 thoughts on “What is… Herd Behaviour

1. Paula Light says:

Great post. I always bring up car accidents when people start talking about some danger. But I guess we’re used to them and hospitals aren’t overwhelmed with victims.

The TP thing is just insane.

Baaaaaa!!!! We’re bleating! I love it!

Yeah, the toilet paper thing is weird, and I don’t understand it. My thinking is that I could go without it if necessary. We could cut up some ratty old towels into rags that could be tossed or washed.

Herd mentality is so weird!!

3. clairei47 says:

The toilet paper 🧻 hoarding is such a weird phenomenon. I noticed in Poundland on my way home from work there was a pack with a hole in it left on the self and everyone looked at it, wondered if they should get it and then decided against it. Very strange to observe the draw towards it. I even found myself obsessively thinking about it 😂😂. I don’t want to be a sheeple! I think becoming sober 4 months ago was a positive experience of not following the herd!! Nice post xx

4. Melanie B Cee says:

Until yesterday I would have denied, vehemently, that I’d EVER indulge in herd behavior. Yesterday showed me that I’m just as susceptible to it as anyone else. Baaaa indeed! O_o

5. lorrs33 says:

I often found myself feeling the desire to buy stuff I don’t need for the sake of hoarding it and I’ll be honest I gave into it a couple of times. It’s spooky how easily influenced our minds can be.

6. my dream walden says:

I can understand panic buying as a herd behavior, but humans are also disorderly and selfish. I don’t know how sheep behave in a flock, but I think another aspect to the panic buying is the fear of missing or losing out.

7. skinnyhobbit says:

Ooh! Here in Singapore, it isn’t toilet paper but instant noodles, of all things. We have plenty of fresh food, and multiple supply chains to get that fresh food (government is literally reassuring people lol)… but people are buying lots and lots of instant noodles.

It doesn’t even make sense as a shelf stable food when we have way better alternatives in good supply like rice, a wide range of canned goods, frozen meat and veg etc.

8. Tazzie says:

You can see this behaviour through History, and life. Fashion, Nazis and many Germans WWII, advertising, sports, enough people get noticed or speak loudly herding can happen. I once stood for no reason looking up at the sky in a Sydney Mall. I was just looking at how blue it was. When I had enough I noted there must have been 20other people looking up, with no idea why!

We all now Australia was one of the first herding examples toilet paper, flour, rice, oats, tinned veggies(you can now only buy two tins of veggies yes of any vegetable just two tins), Some cereals, frozen vegetables, dog food cat food, milk powder and long life milk plenty of carnation and condensed oh and fresh milk still being delivered every day…cows get milked every day twice a day? Go figure. People are stocking up on meat at my local butchers. Perhaps they do not realise they have farms and the meat they sell is their own. Rarely is any of the meat from this butchers from the mainland.

Quite sad really but it is also the governments fault and the supermarkets.

9. kachaiweb says:

I saw the hoarding coming up, I could predict it. I don’t participate in it, not even for TP. But what I’ve experienced is the psychological pressure when you chose to do things that ‘fall out’ (big word here) of the norm. I feel more strange because I’m not fitting in. Maybe the herd mentality stems from earlier days, when it was pivotal not to be pushed out of the group for survival.

• kachaiweb says:

Oh this will be referred in history books as the ‘time when toilet paper ruled the world’ or ‘when toilet paper was more valuable than gold’.
        Nature wins again as those poor trees are being finally recognized for what they gave to us.
        I think to dress up for Halloween as ‘the last toilet roll on earth’ as it would scare a lot of people 👻👻👻