What is… antisociality

Mental Health @ Home Insights into psychology: antisociality

In this series, I dig a little deeper into the meaning of psychological terms.  This week’s term: Antisociality

For some reason I have a very clear memory of a moment shortly after my nursing career began.  I was at work, and was saying something about being antisocial.  One of the psychiatrists looked at me and asked if I meant asocial.  I looked at him quizzically, not realizing there was a difference.  Well, apparently there is!

In general conversation asocial and antisocial are often used synonymously.  Merriam-Webster defines asocial as:

“not social: such as: a) rejecting or lacking the capacity for social interaction, b) antisocial”

In psychology and psychiatry, however, antisocial has a distinct meaning.  Antisocial behaviour violates the basic rights of others, causing harm or disruption in some way.  While being asocial/unsocial involves a withdrawal from others, antisocial behaviour is acted out towards others.

The DSM-5 includes a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder, which involves a longstanding pattern of maladaptive inner experiences and behaviour.  Key features of antisocial personality disorder include disregard for others, impulsivity, and irresponsibility.  Often there are run-ins with the law.  People with this disorder may anger easily and tend to manipulate others.  Antisocial personality disorder is sometimes used synonymously with sociopathy, although sociopath isn’t a formal diagnostic term.  Psychopath is also not a diagnostic term in the DSM-5, but antisocial personality disorder would be its closest equivalent.  However, not everyone with antisocial personality disorder is a psychopath.

The DSM states that antisocial personality disorder can’t be diagnosed until age 18, but there is a strong correlation between childhood aggressiveness and antisocial behaviour as a young adult.  Factors related to the family of origin have a significant impact on the development of antisocial tendencies.  Peer groups can also play a role, as can genetics.  Antisocial PD is more common in males than in females.

The opposite of antisocial behaviour is prosocial behaviour, which involves effective communication and interaction to benefits others.  Following socially defined rules, such as the rules of the road, is considered prosocial and benefits both us and others.  Greater empathy is linked to prosocial behaviour.  Parental modelling during childhood is an important influence on prosocial behaviour later on.

Asociality can involve a lack of motivation for, or interest in, social engagement.  It can be seen to some extent in introverts, or to a greater extent in the context of mental illness.  Schizophrenia, autism spectrum disorder, depression, social anxiety disorder, and “cluster A” personality disorders (paranoid, schizoid, and schizotypal) can all contribute to asociality.

As for myself, I’m capable of prosocial behaviour, but I’m much more comfortable living a fairly asocial existence.  I can think of a few examples that got somewhere near the border mildly antisocial behaviour, but nothing really substantial.

What are your thoughts?

Sources:

You can find the rest of my What Is series here.

Visit the Mental Health @ Home Store to find my books Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple, a mini-ebook collection focused on therapy, and plenty of free downloadable resources.

32 thoughts on “What is… antisociality

How interseting this was to read. I never even hear of asocial before. I always thought of myself as antisocial (Introverted), but after reading this… I’m so happy to learn I’m not anitsoical at all. I don’t fir that criteria for that, one bit.
    Woot-woot!!!! 🤗

In the UK we used to have Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs), which were used to forbid disruptive people from going to certain places or doing certain things to prevent anti-social behaviour without pressing stronger criminal charges e.g. for things like persistent drunkenness or minor acts of violence.

3. Melanie B Cee says:

I had never heard the term “asocial” and find that’s the condition I have, not “anti-social”. Although as I’ve gotten closer to 60, I am more aggressive, more angry and less thoughtful about the opinions of others regarding things I do or say. But the therapy people tell me those are traits that people with even mild BPD have, so it’s not unusual for me to be this way. I don’t really like those traits, but as I blogged about recently, nobody seems to really have a therapy model to treat my symptoms. That may be because they (mental health workers) can’t classify what I have exactly. PTSD, BPD, Bipolar II, Dysthymia are all bits and pieces of my picture. And I’m really really asocial. I could never kill anyone though nor do I wish anyone actual harm, I just fantasize a little sometimes about people I dislike for some reason or other getting in bad accidents. And I think that’s normal, isn’t it?

4. Barb says:

Until I read your post, I didn’t know there was a difference between asocial and antisocial; I always used them interchangeably.

Thanks for preaching about one of my pet peeves!! I hate it when people say, “Come to the party! Don’t be so antisocial.” [Groan.] And I say, “I’m not a psychopath, thank you very much. I simply don’t want to get funky.”

I don’t think I’m remotely antisocial, but when I took Sammy Samson to the vet and asked for him to be euthanized, I suddenly found myself in touch with my antisocial side. I was sort of saying, “This dog needs to die because he’s a bad dog, and I don’t care about his life.” That wasn’t exactly how I felt, I was an emotional mess, but I thought I needed to present a strong front to the vet, and no other solution was going to work, if that makes sense. And so I went in there like a crazed killer. Unfortunately, the vet was a [bleep] and she probably really does think I’m antisocial now. Not that I really care. I think she’s a [bleep].

But it was a weird experience because I was suddenly in touch with my dark side, which I sort of felt I needed to use to get the job done.

Great and thought-provoking blog post!!

6. aguycalledbloke says:

A great read Ashley, and a greater correction also. Whilst l will still use selectively social, asocial is a much nicer way of describing it. Of course antisocial behaviour is very different – where Suze works ASBO’s as they are called and l am pretty sure l saw reference to it above are constantly issued to very troublesome individuals who like nothing more than not just causing antisocial behaviour to others but seemingly get a sense of achievement when issued with an ASBO too.

• aguycalledbloke says:

No of course not, but put it this way if you are a person with a tendency to display anti-social behaviour towards another if not others then you don’t care if you have received an ASBOrder it’s just another one on your file or your record. That’s the problem. Of course it used to be that ASBO’s were not splashed out like smarties, now l have known streets of people making complaints at individuals over the silliest of things on the premise that they hope an ASBO will be issued on their neighbours.

• aguycalledbloke says:

Oh l know, some neighbours are the pits lmao – a couple of years back, the neighbours behind me had a habit of banging on a full drum kit for 12 hours a day with their windows wide open. I was frantic, l was getting to the point that l may have killed a drummer on the spot lol! i had thought about making a complaint to the council [those who issue warnings against complaints] but instead just went to the neighbours and just asked them to please be more respectful of the neighbourhood, that l was an admirer of drummers, but not for 12 hours a day with the verandah windows open!

We managed to sort out an acceptable compromise, but someone else would have complained and there is a very good chance the neighbours would have had a noise pollution warning against them – life’s too short – talk to the offender first, if that fails well then have asked for an official complaint.

7. Between Two Poles says:

People throwing the word antisocial around drives me crazy. I had “friends” in college who called me antisocial all the time.They were psychology majors. *eye roll* I have not kept in touch with them, needless to say.