No, We’re Not “Drug-seeking”

medications being poured into a glass bowl

“Drug-seeking”.  “Med-seeking”.  They’re labels with very negative connotations that are often tossed around quite freely when it comes to medications with the potential for abuse.  They tend to be applied most readily to people take pain medications or psychiatric medications.

The notion of people being drug-seeking is heavily laden with judgment and stigma.  After all, isn’t anyone going to see their doctor for a prescription seeking out drugs?  Why is seeking medications okay in some instances but not in others?

And is the issue the medications themselves, or preconceptions and judgments regarding people who take those medications?

Opioids

The opioid overdose epidemic is a good example of how judgment cloaked in good intentions can deprive people of much-needed medication.  Because some people are getting addicted and some of the people who are addicted end up overdosing, there is tremendous pressure being placed on doctors to decrease opioid dosages and avoid giving them to people as much as possible.

The unfortunate effect of this is that people whose chronic pain was managed on opioids are having their doses decreased, meaning less pain control.  People trying to stay on the dose that had stabilized them are likely to be labelled as drug-seeking.  If someone had to take a few extra to get them through a bad flare, good luck to them trying to get their prescription refilled early.

Benzos and stimulants

When it comes to mental illness, stimulants and benzodiazepines tend to be most commonly linked to the drug-seeking label.  Sure, they can be abused, and that’s a problem.  However, it doesn’t mean that people with a genuine therapeutic indication for those medications should be treated as second class citizens.

A pharmacy that I went to in the past started acting like I was sketchy when I started taking the stimulant Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine).  All of a sudden I’d have to show photo ID and be asked a bunch of questions every time I picked up my meds.  I decided screw that and switched to a different pharmacy.  My current pharmacy is better, but the Dexedrine is still handled differently.  I can’t request a refill be processed using their automated phone system; for that particular medication I have to speak to someone directly.  And when I pick it up, they make me wait to speak to a pharmacist before they’ll give it to me.

I think at least some of this comes front the cover-your-ass attitude that’s so prevalent in healthcare.  Healthcare providers don’t want it coming back on them that a patient is doing something “wrong”, so they try to make sure they’re not giving anyone the opportunity.  So much for patient-centred care; CYA wins out more often than not.

We deserve better than being judged by the medications we take and the conditions that we have.  We could use more compassion and less cover-your-ass.

Psych Meds Made Simple by Ashley L Peterson book cover

Want to know more about psych meds and how they work?

My first book, Psych Meds Made Simple, is available on the Mental Health @ Home Store.

13 thoughts on “No, We’re Not “Drug-seeking”

1. Invisibly Me says:

So spot on, and it’s quite worrying the way the whole ‘opioid crisis’ is going with people finding their medications under threat. I think it’s great to bring more awareness about what different drugs do, to get reviews, to make sure they’re working well enough and are best suited to you etc. But, the patient’s needs have to come first and if they need pain medications, they should get exactly what they require. I agree there’s some cover-their-asses going on. The stigma around these medications is only getting worse with the media coverage suggesting over-use of prescription pain meds and then in comes medication shaming and labels of being a medication-seeker. There’s a distinct difference between taking prescription pills when you don’t have pain, and taking them because you’re in agony and need them to better manage your day to day life. Nicely said, Ashley.
    Caz xx

2. Revenge of Eve says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. It is a fact that I struggle with substance abuse, and the chemicals in my brain have been altered as a result. My options to living a substance-free life are minuscule, therefore, I receive prescribed medication that targets the areas that are damaged. I am fortunate to not be an opiate addict if there is such fortune. The epidemic that it has become does affect those who live with chronic pain. The efforts toward reducing those addicted increases overdoses and cuts others out completely. I think too much leniency is given to medical professionals where addictive medication is concerned. It is insane what people around here are prescribed and lethal when combined. It doesn’t make sense. Those people are drug-seeking but the fact they walk out with the three prescriptions they do baffles me.

Oh, I can totally relate to bad pharmacies. I was treated the same way once when I went to the drugstore in the middle of the night (a 24-hour pharmacy) needing some Ambien. The pharmacist tech (or whoever he was) said, “I can’t fill this. It’s a controlled substance.” And I said, “I know, that’s why it requires a prescription. See? Here’s my prescription.” And he kept giving me all this grief over it. And I said, “How am I supposed to fall asleep tonight? I thought you were a 24-hour pharmacy.” And he kept acting as if I was some sort of illicit drug user who was trying to get a stash in a dark alleyway, or something.

I wound up having to drive up the street to a different drugstore that night. The next day, I returned to the original drugstore and complained to the pharmacist. He acted shocked and didn’t know why that would’ve gone wrong. I like to think I got that guy in major trouble for not filling my drug. But none of it makes sense. Why have your pharmacy open 24 hours if you’re not open 24 hours? Not sure.

And now I recall the time I went to the pharmacy window and asked to speak to a pharmacist. I asked her if she could recommend any supplements (St. John’s Wort, or whatever) for paranoia. She recoiled and seemed terrified. “No. NO! You need prescriptions for that!! AAAAUGH, don’t hurt me!”

She didn’t last a week.

The pain issues you’re talking about are also serious. At our local hospital, the tendency of the doctors is to ignore any major pain and send the patient home. (I’ve seen this happen to two separate family members.) Then, the doctors just sit back and wait to see if the patient returns the next day, still in pain. Yep, they do. Then, at that juncture, the doctor either writes a prescription for powerful pain meds (like, thanks already) or performs surgery, depending on the issue. (Um, yeah, it’s like, let’s just take a wait-and-see approach to my rupturing appendix, why don’t we?) So stupid.

4. Johnzelle Anderson says:

Great post! I warn my clients about the addictiveness of some of their prescriptions and check in to ensure proper use. From my experience in the inpatient setting, I have seen some very real cases of med-seeking. My doctor has me come in for blood tests and follow-ups for my benzo prescription. I’m fine with that, given that benzos being sold on the street is rampant in my city.

5. seaofwordsx says:

omg this is so true!! so well written 💗 I remember when I had some talks with a social worker a few years ago and told her I took Valium from my mother because she use that. They told me it’s addictive and blabla. I still have benzo prescribed for anxiety and will use it whenever I need it, mostly when I feel really anxious. It feels like we are treated as kids when we know what to do. If it makes us feel better it’s important

6. lavenderandlevity says:

Would that a gun owner in America had to go through half the crap those of us on stimulants have to to get meds to keep us functional. I *might* be more open to gun ownership ever if it took three photo ids and an address verification each time you fired one and you could only obtain one a minimum of every thirty days with side-eyed glances…