My body is my own

diagram of uterus and ovaries

As U.S. states like Alabama, Kentucky, and Georgia are passing laws restricting abortion and gearing up to challenge the Roe v. Wade decision in the U.S. Supreme Court, I look on from north of the border with dismay and disgust.

I have never had an abortion, but as a woman my reproductive health should be between me and my doctor and based on what’s most appropriate in my specific circumstances.  The government should have no rights of ownership over my uterus.

If people don’t agree with abortion, they’re perfectly free to make their own choices consistent with that and to express their beliefs.  If those decisions are made based on their religious beliefs, they have the right to their own religious freedom.

However, people who are anti-abortion, especially when it is for religious reasons, are not entitled to make my choices for me.  Part of religious freedom is not being forced to adhere to another person’s religious views, and I’m sure quite the outcry would result in a non-Christian religion tried to impose their views on the general American population.  I strongly believe that no one should ever, ever have the right to impose their religious beliefs on me and my uterus.

Another place where government does not belong is the agonizing decisions faced by pregnant women who want to have a child but learn of gross fetal abnormalities in the late second trimester or into the third trimester.  The term “late term abortion” is often tossed around as though it involves women who simply couldn’t be bothered getting an abortion early on.  In reality, these are tremendously difficult decisions that should be made by a woman, her family, and her doctor.  Government should have no right to interfere.

Isn’t it interesting that it seems to be mostly men trying to pass laws imposing their beliefs on women’s bodies?  If it was women trying to dictate what happens with men’s bodies, particularly their reproductive system, is there a snowball’s chance in hell that would actually happen?  Of course not.

Just recently Missouri state representative Barry Hovis spoke about how the majority of rapes are consensual.  He later apologized and claimed that he misspoke, but that kind of ignorance should have no place in public office.  There have been state representatives who argued that women who’ve experienced “legitimate” rape would not be able to get pregnant because “the juices don’t flow” and rape causes women to “secrete a certain secretion” to “shut that thing down”.  Well that’s a medical explanation if I’ve ever heard one.  Sadly, it seems not uncommon within the anti-abortion movement for people to make uninformed or misinformed statements about the female reproductive system and abortion care in order to bolster their position.  Personally, I prefer reproductive health care decisions to be based on facts and science.

This shouldn’t be about which side should “win”.  You don’t see pro-choice advocates trying to force women who are anti-choice to have abortions.  People have the right to have whatever views they want, but they shouldn’t have the right to enact those views on other people’s bodies.

Given the current climate, I am very glad that I don’t live in the United States.  The idea of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh in particular having a potential say over what happens to women’s bodies is revolting.  Women’s reproductive health is a health care issue that should be addressed on an individual basis between a woman and her doctor.  No one should be imposing their views, and in particular their own religious views, on women’s reproductive systems.

38 thoughts on “My body is my own

1. Liz says:

I totally agree on this. It’s our choice what happens to us and our bodies
    No one else. Just ourselves and the doctor.

2. Melanie B Cee says:

Some folks would say that history repeats itself, even ugly and stupid history. And that those who don’t learn from mistakes are doomed to repeat them. Well since to my knowledge no man has ever had to decide about an abortion (except as they are doing now), I’m not sure why they feel entitled to stick their nose into it. We don’t go around saying all ‘ugly’ or “stupid’ men should be castrated, do we? I don’t know. The longer I live, the stupider things get. Repeating that vile history of back alley abortions is beyond moronic.

3. Johnzelle says:

Great post! I agree that the government should not be involved in this option. The alternative are the unsafe and deadly options used prior to Roe V. Wade. SMH…

4. Christie says:

So good. I completely agree- even if someone is pro-life, there is absolutely no need to take away the freedom of choice. These politicians who are supposedly promoting Christian ideals, then turn around and devalue women, ignore the poor, and promote xenophobia like no other. Even if they’re basing in on religious beliefs, it’s as if they pick and choose simply as a means of control. As a Christian myself, I just find all of this appalling.

Things would likely be very different if these supposedly Christian politicians did more to emulate the love and acceptance demonstrated by Jesus.

5. bella says:

I am so infuriated by this whole topic it’s so so messed up. It’s absolutely nobody else’s business but the woman involved. I had an abortion at 8 weeks, only realising I was pregnant at 6 weeks and to think that if I was somewhere where these ridiculous laws are being introduced I would be eligible to go to prison is mind-blowing and barbaric. Women deserve better than being treated as second-rate humans.

I have no idea where I sit on the issue because it confuses me. But you made a lot of valid points that I hadn’t thought of! Maybe I’ll try to blog about it later and pingback this! So much to think about!! Great post!

7. Ashley & Johnny says:

Wish I was north of the border with you! Great post-I whole heartedly agree. Unfortunately I reside in Missouri, where now a corpse literally has more rights to what happens to its body than I do. That’s pretty grim, scary and sad.

8. marandarussell says:

The rising authoritarianism here just scares me all the way around. I know politics is a pendulum that swings back and forth, but it feels like we are totally out of control right now.

9. A. Rinum says:

Great post…
    I personally disagree with abortion, but I also believe its not my choice. People are free to decide. Putting restrictions will only lead to an unsafe abortion.

10. Megan says:

A fantastic post, Ashley! Honestly, you’re lucky to not live here and worry about this kind of crap. You make a great point that if a religion that wasn’t Christianity was trying to impose laws like this, people would be furious. Sadly it seems there will never be a true separation of church and state in America.

11. Michelle says:

I agree. A women should be able to choose what they do with their body. Not everyone is able to carry a baby to full term or raise a child.

I was accidentally almost raped once and it wasn’t my choice. If someone is raped and ends up pregnant, they should have the choice of abortion.

12. kiraninprogress says:

Great post, preachhh sista❤️ I just read this and it’s amazing!! I found your work beautiful and truly look forward to reading more in the future. I’m in love with your words and the way you expressed your thoughts so easily. And I was wondering if you could checkout my new piece on Anti-abortion feminists and reproductive rights and comment some feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you. – Kiran