Evidence-based treatment of anxiety

In this post I’ll take a look at some of the available treatment guidelines for anxiety disorders.  While psychotherapies are extremely important in the management of anxiety disorders, this post will focus only on anti-anxiety medications.  The treatment guidelines I refer to come from the British Association for Psychopharmacology and the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry.

Benzodiazepines, while effective, are generally only recommended for short term use or where other treatments have failed, and there should be a careful consideration of the risks vs benefits for the specific individual.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

It may take up to 12 weeks to achieve full response to antidepressant medication, but if there is no response at all after 4 weeks it is unlikely that particular medication will start to work with a longer duration of treatment.

1st line: SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor): citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine, sertraline

Alternatives to SSRI: SNRI (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor: venlafaxine, duloxetine), pregabalin (high dose may be more effective); quetiapine may be effective as monotherapy at doses of 50-300mg/day

2nd line: agomelatine, quetiapine, some benzodiazepines (alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam), imipramine (a tricyclic antidepressant or TCA), buspirone, hydroxyzine (a sedating antihistamine), trazodone

Panic disorder

It may take up to 12 weeks for medication to fully take effect.  When discontinuing medication after long-term treatment a lengthy gradual taper is recommended (over at least a 3 month period).

1st line: SSRI

Alternatives: some TCAs (clomipramine, desipramine, imipramine, lofepramine) venlafaxine, reboxetine, some benzodiazepines (alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, lorazepam), some anticonvulsants (gabapentin, sodium valproate)

Avoid: propranolol, buspirone and bupropion

Social Anxiety Disorder

It may take up to 12 weeks for medication to fully take effect.

1st line: SSRIs

Alternatives: venlafaxine, phenelzine, moclobemide, some benzodiazepines (bromazepam, clonazepam) and anticonvulsants (gabapentin, pregabalin), and olanzapine

Avoid: atenolol or buspirone in generalized social anxiety disorder; beta blockers can be effective for performance anxiety but not social anxiety disorder in general

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

1st line: SSRI (may need a high dose)

Alternative: clomipramine

Add-on treatment: atypical antipsychotic, haloperidol, mirtazapine (may speed up response to citalopram)

What has your experience been like with anti-anxiety medication?

You can learn more about these medications in my book Psych Meds Made Simple: How & Why They Do What They Do, available on Amazon.

26 thoughts on “Evidence-based treatment of anxiety

1. Barb says:

As you know, I recently got off Klonopin and luckily, without suffering any withdrawal symptoms. I had been on Klonopin for years, and I honestly couldn’t remember the last time it helped. That’s why, with my doctor’s permission, he tapered off my meds in about a week, maybe two.

Thanks for posting this — I had no idea there are so many alternatives to benzos.

Liked by 3 people

2. Invisibly Me says:

A very informative post for those considering anti-anxiety meds, or looking to change. I have found Citalopram to be best for me personally in terms of turning down the physical symptoms, but it does make me nauseous, especially since having a stoma. I would say me starting Citalopram for the first time years ago was a funny story but it wasn’t really… I failed my driving test 6 times because before I went for the first ever test my instructor said “I think you may have an anxiety problem, you might want to talk to your doc and get something for that”. I ploughed ahead, not believing him or wanting to know about meds. Shaking knees, shaking hands, brain a pile of mush, and couldn’t get my foot on the clutch. After attempt no.6 I went to doc and got Citalopram… couple of weeks later I could already feel the difference, took my test and passed with flying colours. It was only after that that I really appreciated the problem I had with anxiety, as it wasn’t something that was too openly discussed nor accepted then (maybe 12 or so years ago). Wow, what a rant! Main bit of my point – Citalopram over the years despite other things has been the best with least nasty side-effects despite nausea, which can be countered by taking it at night or cutting the tab and tempering the dose. x

Liked by 3 people

3. howikilledbetty says:

Sertraline seems to work pretty well for me … the only side effect I have is being quite fidgety, particularly in the evenings. I have to wriggle my toes, or feet …
    Really useful post and just seeing the amount of drugs available … crikey.

Liked by 2 people

4. s.e. taylor says:

GAD here. I take xanax PRN occasionally. I’ve been wanting to look into alternatives but I can’t take SSRI’s due to mania. Helpful post thank you. I think I’ll ask my pdoc about buspar since it has worked for family members. I just don’t want the sedation. That’s why I like something being PRN.

Mother used to have panic attacks in which she thought she was dying. She was prescribed Xanax, which she took for a while, and the problem disappeared, and then she went off it. A happy ending!

I’ve never struggled with anxiety, but I thought I did. Paranoia (for example, fear of dark forces, which I used to experience) can feel very much like anxiety. I was prescribed buspirone, a drug which made me agitated and restless all the time, so I went off it.

I almost think side effects are sometimes our subconscious’s way of saying, “This might not be the best drug for you.” That’s kind of what I intuited back at the time. (This was several years ago.)

Anyway, I also know of some anxiety supplements: L-Theanine, which is the aspect of green tea that gives you that woozy feeling, and anything sedationary like tryptophan, etc.

I asked a pharmacist once if there are any supplements for paranoia. She was a new pharmacist who’d only been at the drugstore for a day or so. She got this look of horror on her face, recoiled, and yelled, “No! You must be medicated for it!!” Then she ran screaming. I never saw her again. It was bad for morale. Anyway.

My medications have been tweaked so often, I have a list back at home of what worked, and what didn’t. The list of what didn’t work was a lengthy list of medications that I had reactions to (meaning, it made my depression worse and/or anxiety worse). Now, I’m on Lamictal, Trazadone, Lexapro, and Visteril. I also take Melatonin. I was taking Klonopin for close to six months, but that ran out over three weeks ago, and the psychiatrist would not refill it again and prescribed the Visteril in its place. I’m actually happy to be off the Kolonipin because I know that I could become addicted to it, and I don’t want that based on my alcoholic recovery.
    I so wish I didn’t have to take anything, but I’m a wreck without my anxiety and insomnia medication.

7. wellcolourmeyellow says:

Im diagnosed with panic disorder and I’ve found Propranolol to work quite well for the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks. The ‘inside my mind’ thing s quite difficult and Im looking to talk to my psychiatrist about that, but Im beyond thrilled with how well I’ve been doing,relatively, for someone who was having severe panic attacks every day. There is something that bothers me, though. Im apparently (I have to ask her about this as well) also diagnosed with major depressive disorder and im (still) prone to intense depressive episodes and frequent disassociation. So, I don’t know if im on propranolol for that to or, if not, then was it too recent a diagnosis to prescribe me medicines specific for depression? Or is it because we specifically asked her for, relatively, side-effect free medicines while I was still in school? Im so confused.Again, to reiterate, I AM very happy with how far i’ve come with inderal only. Sertraline and citalopram weren’t doing me good…sigh.