PTSD Evidence-based Treatment Options: An Overview is a mini-ebook written for people who want to know what their possibilities might be for evidence-based treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. It covers several techniques, including:
- cognitive processing therapy (a type of trauma-focused cognitive behavioural therapy)
- prolonged exposure (also a variation of CBT therapy)
- narrative exposure therapy
- eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- stress inoculation training
- brief eclectic therapy
- Seeking Safety
There’s also a review of several evidence-based treatment guidelines and a look at some of the medications that can play a supporting role in treating PTSD. This resource is not intended to suggest or recommend any particular form of treatment; rather, the goal is to give an overview of options to support informed decision-making.
The PTSD Treatment Options Overview mini-ebook is also available as part of the Therapy Mini-Ebook Collection.
This mini-ebook is available as a downloadable 37-page PDF.
For an extensive, in-depth look at the effects of trauma and how to treat it, Bessel van der Kolk’s book The Body Keeps the Score is an excellent choice.