The mini e-book CBT Fundamentals provides an introduction to cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), including some of the key concepts and techniques, both cognitive and behavioural. There is also an overview of the key CBT strategies used in the treatment of specific mental health disorders and psychological problems, including anger and low self-esteem.
Topics covered include:
- the ABCs (activating event, beliefs, consequences)
- cognitive distortions
- thought records
- evaluating rules and assumptions
- various cognitive and behavioural interventions, including prolonged exposure
This resource includes a combination of self-help strategies and information that can help you to make a better decision about whether CBT is a good fit for you to pursue with a therapist. There’s substantial research evidence to support the effectiveness of CBT, and while that doesn’t mean it will necessarily be the best fit for you, there will likely still be some bits and pieces that can be useful for your own self-management.
This resource is available as a downloadable PDF.
Length: 37 pages
CBT Fundamentals is also available as part of the Therapy Mini-Ebook Collection.
You may be interested in these posts on Mental Health @ Home that also touch on CBT fundamentals:
- Cognitive distortions in CBT
- Drilling down to core beliefs
- What is… series: Behavioural experiments and Safety behaviours