I started Mental Health @ Home in October 2017. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about blogging. I’ve learned a lot since then, and one of the things that I’ve learned is that there’s always more to find out, and new ways to making your blogging experience more productive and satisfying.
This page includes links to the posts that I’ve done relating to blogging and writing. My approach is very pragmatic and I have no real interest in what you’re “supposed to” do. I hope some of these tips will be useful in your blogging journey.
A new blogging about blogging post is published every Sunday.
- A grumpy guide to blogging etiquette
- Accounting Considerations for Bloggers – thinks to think about if you’ve monetized your blog
- Are bloggers “supposed” to have an email list?
- Are there seasonal changes in blog traffic?
- Blog comments and censorship
- Blogging & Blossoming – this was a series I did on the Best Life Collaborative site
- Blogging and copyright
- Blogging During Mental Illness Flares
- Blogging pet peeves
- Crazy-Making Blog Comparisons – comparing yourself to other bloggers is natural but it can be oh so destructive
- Do Long-Tail Keywords Matter for Your Blog? – how the idea of long-tail keywords can help you write blog post titles that are more likely to get noticed on Google
- Do You Do Blog Awards?
- Do you reblog? – the pros and cons of reblogging other people’s comments
- Do You Repost Your Own Content? – should you republish posts you’ve already published before?
- Do You Promote Your Blog on Social Media?
- Do You Schedule Your Blog Posts?
- Evergreen blogging and the WordPress reader
- Get out your duster – it’s blog housekeeping time!
- Growth should not be at others’ expense
- How do we comment? – how do you approach commenting on other people’s blogs?
- How Do You Find New Blog Viewers?
- How do you follow? – Survey results
- How easy is it to monetize a blog?
- How to build a mental health blog
- Images and Copyright: What’s a Blogger to Do? – what you need to know to make sure you’re not using images without permission
- Managing Blog Spam – how to handle comment spam
- My Blogging Evolution
- Options to make money with blogging – monetization possibilities
- Reflecting on a blogging milestone – my thoughts on reaching 4K followers
- The awkward topic of blogging & money – how to react when other bloggers are asking for money?
- The doofus-friendly lowdown on SEO for bloggers – the basics of search engine optimization
- To .com or .org? – Looking at the pros and cons of WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- Useful Tools for Bloggers – grammar checkers and other tools to improve your writing
- Using images in blog posts
- Using Search Engine Webmaster Tools with Your Blog – Google Search Console, Bing Webmaster Tools, and Yandex
- What Is Domain Authority and Should You Care?
- What is your blogging brand?
- What makes you unfollow?
- Where Do You Get Blog Post Ideas From?
If you’re contemplating upgrading to the WordPress.com business plan and would like to know what that would actually look like, there’s also a free Inside Look at the WordPress.com business plan.
Writing can be a valuable therapeutic tool in dealing with illness, and it’s an important way of challenging stigma.
- Being (and becoming) a Self-Published Blogger-Author
- How and why I write
- Memoirs – To Write or Not to Write?
- My anti-rules for writing
- Spread your writing wings – share your mental health story
- The blogger’s guide to the basics of self-publishing
- Ways to share your story
Some related posts I’ve done on other sites:
- Best Life Collaborative: Pursue Your Writing Dreams series
- SheWrites: Keyword Selection and Bidding Strategies for Amazon Ads
- multiple posts on The Writing Cooperative, a Medium publication, including Choosing the right tone to write about chronic illness
These are some of my go-to sites that have tips on blogging.
- Jeff Bullas has a highly popular site and offers growth-oriented tips for bloggers on things like search engine optimization.
- Jenni of Housewife Hustle does weekly blogging about blogging posts.
- Neil Patel has a massively popular site, and his blog offers growth-oriented tips on things like SEO and marketing.
- Renard of Renard’s World regularly does blogging how-to posts.