This writing portfolio includes the books I’ve authored, a selection of articles from other platforms on which I write, and academic journal publications.
I blog under the name ashleyleia, but otherwise write primarily as Ashley L. Peterson.
I also contributed a story to The Silent Scream: An Anthology of Despair, Hope, and Struggle (2020) by Maria Alfieri.
Bella Grace (June 2019). Turning outward
Canadian Nurse (2014). It can happen to anyone: Reaching out.
I Am 1 in 4 (2018). Mental illness and the dreaded job interview
- HealthProAdvice: The real story about “shock therapy”
- Owlcation: How to be a smart research consumer
- TurboFuture: Growing a blog as a passion project
- YouMeMindBody: I am not my medication: Discussing the stigma of taking meds
Libero Magazine (2019)
Mental Health Matters (2018). Evidence-based supplements for depression
NAMI (2020). Why Stereotypes About Psychosis Are Harmful
New Life Outlook (2018). My story
Psychreg (2019). Blogging as a therapeutic tool for mental health
Respect Yourself (2017). Using your voice for mental health
Stigma Fighters. (2017). Personal story
- I Don’t Want to Be Told How to Talk About My Mental Illness (2019)
- Learning About Why Depression Makes Me So Slow (2020)
- What it’s like to have lived through trauma but not have PTSD (2019)
Time to Change (2018). Ron saw through my mental illness to the real me
Uncomfortable Revolution (2019 ). A Venetian romantic getaway for me and my depression
Unsinkable (2020). Mental Health Professionals Aren’t Immune to Mental Illness
Visions: BC’s Mental Health and Addictions Journal (2014). On both sides of the desk: Working as a mental health nurse with a mental illness.
Vocal Media (Author page). Staff pick in Psyche: Barriers to Mental Health Care for Mental Health Professionals
Guest Appearances on Other Blogs
Facing the Challenges of Mental Health (2020): Interview
Happiness Between Tails:
Our DID Journey (2019): Featured Hero in the mist
Panoramic Counseling (2019): My therapy journal
Secretladyspider (2019): When body meets brain
Undercover Superhero (2020): Interviewed for The reality of major depressive disorder.
Selected Articles in Medium.com Publications
1 Minute Reads (2019):
A Few Words:
- Why I choose to be childless: Mental illness and babymaking (2019)
- Why I’m grateful for the life I lived (2020)
Age of Awareness:
- Ableism: The assumptions people make about disability (2020)
- Another way of looking at social privilege (2020)
Feel, Heal, Share (2019):
- InkMend (2019):
Live Your Life On Purpose (2019):
Mariposa Magazine (2019):
Messy Mind (2019):
Noteworthy – The Journal Blog (2019): My Fortress of solitude
P.S I Love You (2019):
The Mile High Club (2019):
The Obscured (2019): Depression is a thief
The Writing Cooperative:
- Choosing the right tone to write about chronic illness (2018)
- I’m a brand new author… Now what? (2019)
Writers On The Run:
- (2017). Experiencing stigma as a nurse with mental illness. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24(5), 314-321.
- (2016). Finding identity and meaning as a nurse with a mental illness. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 30(5), 558-562.
- (2015). A case for the use of autoethnography in nursing research. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 7(1), 226-233.
- (2015). Being a mental health nurse with a mental illness: An autoethnography (Master’s thesis).
- (2013). Integrating mental health and addictions services to improve client outcomes. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 34(10), 752-756.
- (2013). Getting published for the first time: Tips for new graduate students. Nurse Author & Editor, 23(2).