This writing portfolio includes the books I’ve authored, other platforms I write on, and academic journal publications. You can also check out my portfolio on Contently.
I blog under the name ashleyleia, but otherwise write primarily as Ashley L. Peterson.
Author of Psych Meds Made Simple (2019).
Author/editor of Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis (2019).
Contributor to The Silent Scream: An Anthology of Despair, Struggle, And Hope by Maria Alfieri (2020).
Author of Managing the Depression Puzzle (2020).
Bella Grace (June 2019). Turning outward.
Canadian Nurse (2014). It can happen to anyone: Reaching out.
I am 1 in 4 (2018). Mental illness and the dreaded job interview.
Hubpages. Author page.
- HealthProAdvice: The real story about “shock therapy” (2019)
- Owlcation: How to be a smart research consumer (2019)
- TurboFuture: Growing a blog as a passion project (2019)
- YouMeMindBody: I am not my medication: Discussing the stigma of taking meds (2019)
Medium. Various. Author page.
- 1 Minute Reads
- A Few Words
- A blue Christmas (2019)
- Alone, but rarely lonely (2019)
- Hope? What’s that? (2020)
- I don’t do diets: Here’s why (2019)
- Moving from episodic to chronic (2019)
- Observing my own decline (2019)
- To fix or to validate? (2019)
- Why I choose to be childless: Mental illness and babymaking (2019)
- Why I’m grateful for the life I lived (2020)
- Feel, Heal, Share
- Invisible Illness
- Adventures in stigma in the ER (2019)
- Applying harm reduction to self-harm (2019)
- Cognitive deconstruction and the lead up to suicide (2019)
- Dead if you do, dead if you don’t? Weighing the risks & benefits of medications (2019)
- From weakness to warrior (20190
- Funding mental health care: why community-based care matters (2018)
- Getting help when it matters most (2019)
- How can we fight stigma most effectively? (2019)
- How depression affects movement (2019)
- How do you respond to stigmatized language? (2018)
- How picky should we be about suicide-related language? (2019)
- How should social media handle reported suicidal posts? (2020)
- Intersectionality and what it means for mental health (2019)
- Is there something wrong with “behavioral health”? (2019)
- it’s World Mental Health Day (2019)
- Managing working (or not) with disability (2019)
- Master of my domain? A look at depression and masturbation (2018)
- Medication use in pregnancy (2019)
- Mental illness and employment discrimination (2019)
- Mental illness disability and identity shifts (2020)
- My version of being pro-medication (2019)
- NIMBYism and mental health housing (2019)
- Public views on suicide (2019)
- The attention-seeking label (2019)
- The right decision isn’t always easy (2019)
- Why do we think vitamins can cure mental illness? (2019)
- Why I told my patient I’ve been suicidal (2019)
- Why psychosis scares people (2019)
- Will suicide ever be 100% preventable? (2019)
- Live Your Life On Purpose
- Mariposa Magazine
- Messy Mind
- Noteworthy – The Journal Blog
- My Fortress of solitude (2019)
- P.S I Love You
- R.E.A.D.I.N.G. W.A.R.
- The Haven
- Business in the front, party in the back (2019)
- Depression chic (2019)
- GIFs creep me out (2019)
- I feel like a 90-year-old woman (2019)
- Is Twitter the new Tinder? (2019)
- It’s time for a Walmart run (2020)
- Masturbation might just be your patriotic duty (2019)
- Movember is just around the corner (2019)
- My home is a dictatorship (2019)
- Put on your depression boxing gloves (2019)
- Seinfeldisms, the depression version (2019)
- The Festivus season is upon us! (2019)
- The swimwear hall of infamy (2019)
- Why everyone needs guinea pigs (2019)
- The Mile High Club
- The Obscured
- Depression is a thief (2019)
- The Startup
- The Writing Cooperative.
- Bringing it back to purpose (2019)
- Choosing the right tone to write about chronic illness (2018)
- Handling lacklustre receptions (2019)
- I’m a brand new author… Now what? (2019)
- Juggling writing and the effects of mental illness (2019)
- Lessons learned from being an author/editor (2019)
- Musings on writing a book (2019)
- Pressing send: Overcoming the psychological barrier (2018)
- Warm Hearts
- Writers On The Run
Mental Health Matters (2018). Evidence-based supplements for depression.
New Life Outlook (2018). My story: Ashley Peterson.
Project Semicolon (2018). My name is Ashley, and this is my story.
Psychreg (2019). Blogging as a therapeutic tool for mental health.
Respect Yourself (2017). Using your voice for mental health.
Stigma Fighters (2017). Personal story.
The Mighty (2019).
- I Don’t Want to Be Told How to Talk About My Mental Illness
- What it’s like to have lived through trauma but not have PTSD
Time to Change (2018). Ron saw through my mental illness to the real me.
Uncomfortable Revolution (2019 ). A Venetian romantic getaway for me and my depression. Author page.
Visions: BC’s Mental Health and Addictions Journal (2014). On both sides of the desk: Working as a mental health nurse with a mental illness.
Vocal Media: Author page. Staff pick in Psyche: Barriers to Mental Health Care for Mental Health Professionals
Guest Appearances on Other Blogs
Blog of the Wolf Boy (2019). Behind the author.
Happiness Between Tails.
Housewife Hustle (2019). Featured blogger of the month.
Midsummer Daydreamer (2018). Stories of Mental Illness – Ashley’s Story.
Our DID Journey (2019). Featured Hero in the mist.
Panoramic Counseling (2019). My therapy journal.
Secretladyspider Blog (2019). When body meets brain.
Undercover Superhero (2020). The reality of major depressive disorder.
Well Talk Health (2019). Wellness talks.
Peterson, A.L. (2017). Experiencing stigma as a nurse with mental illness. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24(5), 314-321.
Peterson, A.L. (2016). Finding identity and meaning as a nurse with a mental illness. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 30(5), 558-562.
Peterson, A.L. (2015). A case for the use of autoethnography in nursing research. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 7(1), 226-233.
Peterson, A. (2015). Being a mental health nurse with a mental illness: An autoethnography (Master’s thesis).
Peterson, A.L. (2013). Integrating mental health and addictions services to improve client outcomes. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 34(10), 752-756.
Peterson, A.L. (2013). Getting published for the first time: Tips for new graduate students. Nurse Author & Editor, 23(2).