This writing portfolio includes the books I’ve authored, other platforms I write on, and academic journal publications. You can also check out my portfolio on Contently.
I blog under the name ashleyleia, but otherwise write primarily as Ashley L. Peterson.
Author of Psych Meds Made Simple (2019).
Author/editor of Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis (2019).
Contributor to The Silent Scream: An Anthology of Despair, Struggle, And Hope by Maria Alfieri (2020).
Author of Managing the Depression Puzzle (2020).
Bella Grace (June 2019). Turning outward.
Canadian Nurse (2014). It can happen to anyone: Reaching out.
I am 1 in 4 (2018). Mental illness and the dreaded job interview.
- HealthProAdvice: The real story about “shock therapy” (2019)
- Owlcation: How to be a smart research consumer (2019)
- TurboFuture: Growing a blog as a passion project (2019)
- YouMeMindBody: I am not my medication: Discussing the stigma of taking meds (2019)
Mental Health Matters (2018). Evidence-based supplements for depression.
NAMI (2020. Why Stereotypes About Psychosis Are Harmful.
New Life Outlook (2018). My story: Ashley Peterson.
Psychreg (2019). Blogging as a therapeutic tool for mental health.
Respect Yourself (2017). Using your voice for mental health.
Stigma Fighters (2017). Personal story.
- I Don’t Want to Be Told How to Talk About My Mental Illness (2019)
- Learning About Why Depression Makes Me So Slow (2020)
- What it’s like to have lived through trauma but not have PTSD (2019)
Time to Change (2018). Ron saw through my mental illness to the real me.
Uncomfortable Revolution (2019 ). A Venetian romantic getaway for me and my depression.
Unsinkable (2020). Mental Health Professionals Aren’t Immune to Mental Illness.
Visions: BC’s Mental Health and Addictions Journal (2014). On both sides of the desk: Working as a mental health nurse with a mental illness.
Vocal Media: Author page.
- Staff pick in Psyche: Barriers to Mental Health Care for Mental Health Professionals
Guest Appearances on Other Blogs
Facing the Challenges of Mental Health. Interviewed.
Happiness Between Tails.
Our DID Journey (2019). Featured Hero in the mist.
Panoramic Counseling (2019). My therapy journal.
Secretladyspider Blog (2019). When body meets brain.
Undercover Superhero (2020). Interviewed for The reality of major depressive disorder.
Selected Articles in Medium.com Publications
1 Minute Reads (2019)
A Few Words
- Moving from episodic to chronic: The evolution of mental illness (2019)
- To fix or to validate? (2019)
- Why I choose to be childless: Mental illness and babymaking (2019)
- Why I’m grateful for the life I lived (2020)
Age of Awareness
- Ableism: The assumptions people make about disability (2020)
- Another way of looking at social privilege (2020)
Feel, Heal, Share (2019)
- My illness has made me a better nurse
- The ideal mental health professional
- The therapeutic value of community
- Why I choose not to see a psychiatrist
- InkMend (2019)
- Cognitive deconstruction and the lead up to suicide (2019)
- From weakness to warrior (2019)
- Getting help when it matters most (2019)
- How can we fight stigma most effectively? (2019)
- Public views on suicide (2019)
- Why I told my patient I’ve been suicidal (2019)
Live Your Life On Purpose (2019)
Mariposa Magazine (2019)
Messy Mind (2019)
Noteworthy – The Journal Blog (2019): My Fortress of solitude
P.S I Love You (2019)
- Depression chic (2019)
- I feel like a 90-year-old woman (2019)
- It’s time for a Walmart run (2020)
- Masturbation might just be your patriotic duty (2019)
- My home is a dictatorship (2019)
- Put on your depression boxing gloves (2019)
- Seinfeldisms, the depression version (2019)
- The swimwear hall of infamy (2019)
The Mile High Club (2019)
The Obscured (2019): Depression is a thief
- Do thoughts vibrate? (2019)
- How well does positive psychology apply to mental illness? (2019)
- Is chiropractic what you think it is? (2020)
- Reluctantly accepting myself as a brand (2019)
The Writing Cooperative
- Bringing it back to purpose (2019)
- Choosing the right tone to write about chronic illness (2018)
- Handling lacklustre receptions (2019)
- I’m a brand new author… Now what? (2019)
- Juggling writing and the effects of mental illness (2019)
- Lessons learned from being an author/editor (2019)
- Musings on writing a book (2019)
- Pressing send: Overcoming the psychological barrier (2018)
- Alone is never really alone (2020)
- Animals can touch even the hardest to reach hearts (2019)
- Hearts can speak without words (2019)
- There’s still kindness in the world (2019)
Writers On The Run
- African massage and other assorted adventures (2019)
- I’d rather fall off the horse, thanks (2019)
- Pooping my way through India (2019)
Peterson, A.L. (2017). Experiencing stigma as a nurse with mental illness. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24(5), 314-321.
Peterson, A.L. (2016). Finding identity and meaning as a nurse with a mental illness. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 30(5), 558-562.
Peterson, A.L. (2015). A case for the use of autoethnography in nursing research. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 7(1), 226-233.
Peterson, A.L. (2015). Being a mental health nurse with a mental illness: An autoethnography (Master’s thesis).
Peterson, A.L. (2013). Integrating mental health and addictions services to improve client outcomes. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 34(10), 752-756.
Peterson, A.L. (2013). Getting published for the first time: Tips for new graduate students. Nurse Author & Editor, 23(2).