This writing portfolio includes a selection of articles from other platforms where I’ve written, guest blogs, and academic journal publications.
I blog under the name ashleyleia, but otherwise write primarily as Ashley L. Peterson.
I also contributed a story to The Silent Scream: An Anthology of Despair, Hope, and Struggle (2020) by Maria Alfieri.
Bella Grace (June 2019). Turning outward
Canadian Nurse (2014). It can happen to anyone: Reaching out.
I Am 1 in 4 (2018). Mental illness and the dreaded job interview
- HealthProAdvice: The real story about “shock therapy”
- Owlcation: How to be a smart research consumer
- TurboFuture: Growing a blog as a passion project
- YouMeMindBody: I am not my medication: Discussing the stigma of taking meds
Libero Magazine (2019)
Mental Health Matters (2018). Evidence-based supplements for depression
NAMI (2020). Why Stereotypes About Psychosis Are Harmful
New Life Outlook (2018). My story
Psychreg (2019). Blogging as a therapeutic tool for mental health
Respect Yourself (2017). Using your voice for mental health
Stigma Fighters. (2017). Personal story
- I Don’t Want to Be Told How to Talk About My Mental Illness (2019)
- Learning About Why Depression Makes Me So Slow (2020)
- What it’s like to have lived through trauma but not have PTSD (2019)
Uncomfortable Revolution (2019 ). A Venetian romantic getaway for me and my depression
Unsinkable (2020). Mental Health Professionals Aren’t Immune to Mental Illness
Visions: BC’s Mental Health and Addictions Journal (2014). On both sides of the desk: Working as a mental health nurse with a mental illness.
Vocal Media (Author page). Staff pick in Psyche: Barriers to Mental Health Care for Mental Health Professionals
Guest Appearances on Other Blogs
Facing the Challenges of Mental Health (2020): Interview
Happiness Between Tails:
Our DID Journey (2019): Featured Hero in the mist
Panoramic Counseling (2019): My therapy journal
Secretladyspider (2019): When body meets brain
Undercover Superhero (2020): Interviewed for The reality of major depressive disorder.
Selected Articles in Medium.com Publications
Age of Awareness:
- Ableism: The assumptions people make about disability (2020)
- Another way of looking at social privilege (2020)
Feel, Heal, Share (2019):
Live Your Life On Purpose (2019):
Noteworthy – The Journal Blog (2019): My Fortress of solitude
P.S I Love You (2019):
The Writing Cooperative:
- Choosing the right tone to write about chronic illness (2018)
- I’m a brand new author… Now what? (2019)
Writers On The Run:
- (2017). Experiencing stigma as a nurse with mental illness. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24(5), 314-321.
- (2016). Finding identity and meaning as a nurse with a mental illness. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 30(5), 558-562.
- (2015). A case for the use of autoethnography in nursing research. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 7(1), 226-233.
- (2015). Being a mental health nurse with a mental illness: An autoethnography (Master’s thesis).
- (2013). Integrating mental health and addictions services to improve client outcomes. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 34(10), 752-756.
- (2013). Getting published for the first time: Tips for new graduate students. Nurse Author & Editor, 23(2).