Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- There is a very loud family in my building that has been particularly annoying lately. I don’t know what they’re saying, because they’re speaking a language that I’ll hazard a guess is Urdu. The parents are loud at baseline, especially the father. Plus I think they fight a fair bit, although it’s hard to know for sure in a foreign language if it’s actually fighting or just enthusiastic bellowing. They have a daughter that is very fond of screaming. Shut up already, people! Or at least close the damn windows. Preferably, move to a house in the woods so no one else has to listen.
- The provincial government and college of physicians have released a letter to physicians saying they need to start routinely seeing patients in person again. I’ll believe it when I see it, but seriously, fuck the phone call lame-ass excuse for health care bullshit.
- I ordered a picture frame from Amazon, and it arrived broken. Given the packaging they sent it in, I’d estimate the chances of it arriving intact would be 5% at most, which surprised me, given that Amazon is normally really on the ball when it comes to secure packaging.
- From someone trying to be creative with their spam, I got an email with the subject line “Hello? Is anybody there?” The email itself began “I’m Jack. That Jack [lastname] who’s been clogging your inbox for the last two weeks. I haven’t seen a single living soul here and now I feel as if I’m checking in the creepy haunted basement. 😀 But I’m brave enough to give it a last try.” Stay away from the creepy haunted basement, please and thank you. It’s that way for a reason.
- WordPress seems to have gotten a lot worse lately in terms of posts not showing up in the Reader. My own posts are disappearing from my own feed too. And weird things have been going on with copy and paste. Seriously WordPress, stop breaking things. Another weird thing I’ve noticed with WordPress is that sometimes (but not always) when I paste text or links into the block editor, the html for the block will show that WP has arbitrarily decided to change the font for the bit I pasted. What do they change it to? A system font stack, which is a list of the system fonts for a bunch of different operating systems, including fonts you’ve probably never heard of like Oxygen and Ubuntu. I discovered this by accident because I was trying to figure out why certain bits were showing up on my site in a different font. Since I never have reason to write about Ubuntu in my posts, searching my lists of posts and pages for “Ubuntu” shows that WP does this random in-line styling a lot. Why, WordPress, why?
Here’s Peanut and his whiskers. His buddy Butternut just has a few stumpy little whiskers, but snouty Peanut is very whiskerlicious.
And in case, like Ami, you’ve wondered what the hell a purple eater is, we sang this song a lot in elementary school. A one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater… 🎶🎶
How has your week been?