Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- It’s been hotter than usual and humid. I would prefer to jump straight to September. I’ve been irritable anyway, and the hot and humid definitely isn’t helping matters.
- WordPress is annoying me in that their switch to using blocks in a theme’s widget area has removed the functionality of being able to control which pages something is visible on. The mindset of let’s make something new that’s more complicated and less functional puzzles me, as it seems like more user friendly and more functional makes a lot more sense as a direction to head in. After spazzing at a Happiness Engineer, I headed over to Github, where the people actually writing the code talk about the issues. On June 10, someone on Github identified that this was an issue that hadn’t been addressed yet, but clearly no one cared about minor details like making things actually work before rolling it out in the WordPress 5.8 update.
Then there was the issue that when I looked at My Sites>Appearance>Widgets rather than opening up My Sites>Appearance>Customizers as I normally did, it magically revived every widget I’d ever created (which I didn’t even know it even kept track of) and plunked them back on my site. When I started deleting them, it would delete but also hide (but not necessarily remove entirely) random other widgets. Appearance>Widgets is a total dog’s breakfast. WTF? It’s like they’re trying to make the user interface fancier, but no one actually bothers to test the user interface to see if it works. it seems like a very ass-backwards way of doing things. Quit breaking things WP!
- I’ve noticed in the past that the blogosphere tends to be a little less active in the summer, but it’s been serious tumbleweeds lately. My Reader feed has been super quiet, and even when I browse through tags, I see a lot of posts that aren’t getting any engagement at all.
- Peanut seems to have hurt his teeth again, probably by some biting on the cage bars. He’s eating slower as a result, and it means he’s still working on his piece of celery by the time Butternut has finished his, so Butternut steals the rest of Peanut’s piece. So I’ve been taking Peanut out of the cage and breaking his celery into little pieces so it’s easier for him to eat. I feel like a parent pre-chewing baby’s food.
- The weather is so weird this summer. Finally here there’s a bit of rain and cooler weather for a couple of days, and then it’ll back up in the vicinity of 30º C, which normally we would only get a few days of in an entire summer here in my corner of the Canadian west coast. We humans have seriously messed up this planet.
Neil de Grasse Tyson is fun. In a video talking about flat earth nonsense, he was saying that when people claim to defend flat earth with math and physics, it’s an “alarm to the Geekoverse that we must rise up.” Speaking of alarm to the Geekoverse, I’ve come across law of attraction folks trying to use E=mc2 to justify their pseudoscience. Sound the alarm!!! “Energy” and “mass” as LOA talks about them is not at all the same thing as “energy” and “mass” as defined in a very specific way by physics. You can’t use physics equations if you’re making up your own definitions.
I asked for feedback on book cover options, and of the people that already commented, everyone liked what’s been my favourite all along, so I’d decided I’m going with it.
How has your week been?