Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- I was browsing through my local library’s ebook offerings and came across a book by my academic crush Steven Pinker called The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. I thought that sounded rather interesting, so I checked it out. I opened up the ebook file and it was 998 pages. Subtract the references at the end, and it’s 832 pages. That’s not a book, that’s several volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary.
- I was at the pet supply store, and the cashier, a kid half my age, said “thank you, miss.” Really? I think the safe bet with miss is not to use it if the apparent age is older that 12. Kind of like a woman shouldn’t be asked if she’s pregnant unless she’s clearly at least 7 months along, or preferably, about to give birth any day now.
- I had a massage for the first time in a month, which was nice.
- My brain has been only minimally present. I was filling out some tax-related paperwork and I couldn’t remember my Social Insurance Number. I’ve had that memorized for over 20 years. The combination of depression and aging isn’t going to be pretty.
- My brother brought my baby niece over last weekend and it was even more tiring than usual. At least her tolerance for visit length is fairly close to mine.
I got this weird notification below from WordPress. 141 days ago would be January 7. What’s special about that day that they’re starting to count from it? Or what’s special about 141 days? It’s been a couple of years since I went a day without posting, so they’ve picked a totally arbitrary point in time to start counting. Strange.
Speaking of Steven Pinker, last week I had a video of his rockstar hair from the ’80s. This week’s rockstar ’80s hair is Richard Marx, who’s in the news because Rand Paul inadvertently gave him a big publicity boost. Anyway, this song was swoon-worthy for me right around the same time as Bryan Adams’ Everything I Do. But Richard Marx wins for best ’80s hair.
The guinea pigs make a happy noise when they hear sounds they like. Here, Peanut is tucked under his blankie trilling happily to a video of my niece. It’s pretty quiet, so you’ll need to turn the volume up.
How has your week been?