Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- Sometimes, people manage to get it right. In last week’s elections in the U.S., Darren White, the former sheriff in Nodaway county in Missouri who leaned hard into victim-blaming in Daisy Coleman’s rape case, got his ass kicked. His opponent in the race for sheriff got 73% of the vote.
- I’m loving my weighted blanket that I got a few months ago. I don’t use it much for sleep, but it’s nice to have it laid over my legs during the day.
- A court struck down a provision of Canada’s medical assistance in dying legislation that had required natural death to be reasonably foreseeable. The government’s proposed change clearly states that people whose sole condition is mental illness are shit outta luck. While that’s not surprising, I do find it disappointing. Physical pain sucks. Mental pain sucks. Giving people options as to what to do about that is civilized. Deciding whose suffering counts and whose doesn’t… doesn’t feel quite so civilized.
- I discovered a new SEO site audit tool called Seobility. It crawls around a site and gives a report on various things that could use fixing. While I don’t actually care about most of this stuff, I do quite like mostly-mindless tasks along these lines. I turn into a little robot, chugging along getting some things done but not having to do any original thought, which is far easier for me than anything that does require actual thought. Some people knit. I do technical SEO tweaks. Same same but different.
- I mentioned last week that my best friend was too embarrassed to see me because I’m slow. After me berating him (albeit very quietly and slowly because my speech is still impaired) in a Starbucks, we eventually got at what the real underlying issue is. It’s something that’s come up before, and it seems like he does finally get that it’s not acceptable for me, so we’re going to work on continuing the friendship.
- One day when I had the boys out for blanket fort time, Peanut fell asleep and started dreaming. His eyes were darting around like he was possessed, and he was flapping his ears like he was going to take off. I see them dreaming occasionally, but this was the first time I saw it up close. My guess is he dreams about celery and sunshine. I didn’t get a picture/video because I didn’t want to move and wake him up, but this is the two of them being kissy face.
How has your week been?