Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- Thanks so much to Zoe of Zoe Is Lost In Thought for nominating me for the sunshine blogger award!
- My building had a scheduled 6-hour power outage for some electrical work. Luckily it only lasted 4 hours and a bit. Most of what I do each day is electricity-dependent, and power outages are a very good reminder not to take that for granted.
- On my post about what influences worldview, I got a commented that I deleted because it had a self-promotional link, but it included this text: “I want to inspire you to go that extra mile, do that extra push-up, earn that extra dollar, get that extra ‘thank you’.” Aside from the self-promotional element, the idea of more-bigger-better fascinates me, in the sense that I have a hard time grasping why any of that more-bigger-better should matter. It seems like a popular mindset in Western culture, but I say fuck the push-up.
- I got a voice mail from a TMS clinic that my doctor has referred me to… without talking to me about it. We’ve talked about it a couple of times in the past, but that’s really neither here nor there. The issue is that he has just pulled this referral out of his ass, making the decision for me rather than with me, and I am very much not okay with that. I don’t need my main care provider getting all paternalistic and pulling shit like this without talking to me. The thing I liked about my doctor was that he always treated me like an equal partner in my care, up until this bullshit. And when treatment providers remove me from decision-making, my inner stubborn moose wants to tell them to go fuck themselves.
- I finally learned why I haven’t seen my one in-person friend for so long; he doesn’t want to be seen with me when I’m really slow. So that’s pretty much the end of that.
- I think it speaks volumes about the current state of America that, in the time of a massive public health crisis and social unrest, so many people chose to vote for someone who actively rejects science, scientists, and public health, and promotes as much divisiveness as possible every single step of the way. It’s been absolutely surreal to watch the assault on democracy on a certain Twitter account this week. I’m very glad that’s not my country, and thankful that Canada has more respect for the democratic process all along the political spectrum.
Who doesn’t love a blanket fort?
How has your week been?