Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
As anticipated, my DMCA takedown notices for a couple of blogs that had plagiarized my posts resulted in them being taken down. I was a bit surprised that the non-Wordpress-hosted site got taken down a couple of days before the WordPress.com site. Still, both were pretty fast.
Further news on the dumb as a sack of potatoes front… The asshat Andres-David, who I got the ping-back from when he plagiarized my post last week, followed my blog this week (after WP took the post down). I promptly de-followed him.
This morning, I received an email from one of the other copyright violators:
“I apologise for any harm i may have caused in using the information i copied from your site. It wasn’t my intention to claim your work as my own, but was just doing it in faith of promoting the awareness of Covid 19 . I take full responsibility for it, anything that i usually repost i reference the owner of the material. I have taken down the post and again i apologise. Regards Odius”
It’s obnoxious, because a) he copied the whole post and didn’t reference my site site at all, and b) he didn’t take it down, WordPress did. What I find particularly concerning, though, is that he knows my email address (and it’s not my mentalhealthathome address that I make public on the blog). Did WordPress give it to him? Because that’s not cool. I’ve emailed WP to ask about this, and am waiting to hear back.
- Various analytics tools I use have been telling me lately that my site has really slowed down lately in terms of page loading speed. So I’ve been flailing somewhat this week trying to figure out what is and isn’t in my control. As part of this flailing, I decided it was probably time to ditch my old theme, Sela, which was actually retired about a year ago. I switched to the Flash theme that I’d already been looking at, and then I discovered things I didn’t like about it that I couldn’t change, so I switched to Dara. There may or may not be another theme switch coming up; there are a couple of things I’m not happy with, but we’ll see.
- I’ve also switched over to the block editor; more on that in tomorrow’s post.
- This week was Mental Health Awareness Week in the U.K., and this is Mental Health Awareness Month in the U.S. I couldn’t bring myself to care enough to do specific posts for them. I think the awareness weeks and months and days have exploded a little too much, to the point that they become less meaningful as they all blend into one another.
- I am now officially that doofus that if I lose something, inside the microwave is a reasonable place to expect to find it. Yesterday I discovered a tupperware container of tuna in the microwave that should have lived in the fridge. 🤪
- My doctor agrees that I’ve got a recurrence of the atypical pneumonia I had last year, so I’ve temporarily switched antibiotics from the one I was already on to de-inflame my brain. It wouldn’t really be appropriate to go out while I’m hacking up a lung, so I haven’t set foot outside my door all week. I was able to get my prescription delivered, which my pharmacy is doing because they don’t want germy people coming into the store. I got groceries delivered again this week, and I was actually able to get next-day delivery.
How has your week been?