Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- Thanks to Rory from A Guy Called Bloke for gifting me a compliment on my post Feeling Disconnected from Blogging, an issue that has thankfully resolved.
- I’ve noticed an uptick in the number of random people following my blog. By random, I mean people who have no apparent reason to have any interest in my blog, and who don’t do anything besides hit the follow button. For me, anyway, this seems to come in waves. For the earlier part of the year I was getting very few random followers, and in the past few weeks I’ve gotten quite a few. In my experience, the wave pattern of new random followers has no relation to the patterns of new “actual” followers, so to speak.
- I got a somewhat odd message through my blog’s contact form. This person said they were a nurse, and asked if I would review their book, but didn’t say the book’s title. That seemed odd, so I put on my Nancy Drew hat and hopped on over to Amazon. I found the book fairly quickly by the author’s name, but the book description used “mental health” when clearly it was referring to mental illness. That seemed like a mistake that an RN shouldn’t be making, so I hunted down this person’s website. She has a coaching business, but also claim on her site that she’s an RN. There was a phone number listed on the site, with an area code in California, so I looked her up on the California state nursing board site. No listing. In most place RN is a restricted title; you can’t call yourself an RN unless you’re actually registered as a nurse. So she’s using a title she’s not entitled to use, and she doesn’t know the difference between mental health and mental illness and yet she’s writing a book about it? Nancy Drew is not impressed.
- I went to see the semi-hairless guinea pig that is my infant niece. I hadn’t seen her for almost a month.
- I walked to the grocery store once this week and I felt like I was even slower moving than last week. Or maybe there was a little more traffic and that made it more noticeable; I have to go through a 2-lane roundabout along the way, and I don’t like doing that if there are many cars around when I’m slow moving.
- What a difference a country makes. Earlier this week in Canada, someone went on a shooting spree and killed 22 people. If this had happened in the U.S., while some people would be calling for tighter gun control, others, including some officials, would be quick to blame it on mental illness. In Canada, we already have strict gun legislation, so that doesn’t tend to come up as an issue, but what stands out to me is that no one was playing the mental illness blame card, at least from the news coverage that I saw.
- I’m not sure if he got something else stuck in his eye or if it was starting to get infected, but Butternut’s injured eye from last week started getting worse early this week. Now I’ve got him on antibiotic drops as well as doing regular flushing of the eye, and he’s doing much better. As a special treat, he got to munch on some parsley right from the source.
And if by some chance injecting yourself with disinfectant crosses your mind, don’t do it. Just don’t.
How has your week been?