Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- Thanks so much to Megan of Megan Writes Everything for including me on her 7 Best Mental Health Blogs on the Internet list!
- Also thanks to Rory of A Guy Called Bloke for gifting me a compliment for my post on pandemic life for a pre-existing hermit.
- I’ve noticed that I’ve started doing this weird cross between grunting and non-musical humming. I think it started during the sinusitis to keep my airway clear from post-nasal drip, and now I continue to do it without actually intending to. It’s weird in the sense that it’s not something I ever did before, and now I do it a lot.
- I was supposed to have an appointment with a notary public this week to prepare a will. The appointment was booked a month ago, just before things started getting really crazy with COVID-19. Anyway, I didn’t hear from her that the appointment was cancelled/changed, and I checked their website the day before to see if there were any updates, and it only said they weren’t seeing people as drop-ins, so I turned up at the office for the appointment, figuring they’d come up with a sufficiently social distanced setup for seeing people in person. She reacted like I was the corona monster coming to try to get her, and in a horrified tone said that obviously they weren’t seeing people in person. Um, and I was supposed to mind-read that?
- Speaking of the corona monster, a post of mine from early March, Coronavirus (COVID-19) – The Facts, continues to get views and even pingbacks from other people linking to it. I decided this week to go back to each of the posts I’d done one COVID-19 and add a notice they were older posts that hadn’t been updated. I find it a bit scary that a post on the coronavirus that’s over a month old is still getting traction when things are evolving so quickly.
- My current favourite thing is raspberry lemonade, made from the earth-shattering combination of lemonade and real raspberries. How is this earth-shattering? I’d only ever thought to have the pre-made stuff that probably hasn’t been within a mile of an actual raspberry, and using actual raspberries tastes so much better!
- My poor little Butternut injured his eye early in the week when he managed to get a piece of hay lodged under his eyelid. He’s been remarkably tolerant of me flushing his eye to keep it clean, but as has been the case since I adopted him, the hard part is picking him up. I have to back him into a corner of the cage, and he still tries to wriggle out of my hands when I grab him. He’s quite the feisty little monster.
- A few weeks ago I had requested discharge summaries from my past hospitalizations so I’d be able to give them to my doctor to include with his portion of the disability benefits application whenever I do end up applying. This week I received records from a couple of hospitals, and the one where I had my first hospitalization interpreted my request for a discharge summary to mean a request for my entire chart – all 2 months’ worth. I’m not impressed. That was not an easy time; I hated the hospital staff and thought they were incompetent at their jobs, and I don’t think they were fans of me either. I’ve been told that the asshat of a psychiatrist put borderline personality traits on my discharge summary, not because I have them, but because the stigma around BPD is such that “difficult” patients (which I certainly was) get labelled as having BPD, as those things are somehow seen as synonymous. That kind of stigma is lazy and has no place in mental health care – and certainly not in my chart. Anyway, I’ve put the whole thing in a box and shoved it under a bed hoping that I forget about it, but what I foresee happening is a day sometime in the future when my mood is crap, I’ve had too much to drink, and I haul it out, read it, and get pissed off and start trying to send angry messages to people. At some point, I’ll have to get my friend or my brother to extract the pertinent bits and then I guess I’ll burn the rest since I don’t have a shredder. Sigh. So much for thinking it would be easier for me to just gather the records on my own than to bother my doctor’s office with having to track them down.
As guests on my blog this week, I had:
- Sana of The Curly Therapist did an emerging blogger post on what your attachment style says about you
- Rob of Your Limitless Life did an emerging blogger post on his journey through anxiety and depression
- Caz of Mental Health 360º did a wounded healer interview
How has your week been?