The Effects of Bullying on Mental Health

The Effects of Bullying on Mental Health - Bullying Stops Here graphic for pink shirt day

Bullying Stops Here – Pinkshirtday.ca

Today is Pink Shirt Day in Canada, a day to stand up against bullying.  It began when students in a Canadian high school wore pink in support of a male student who was bullied for wearing pink.

Pink Shirt Day makes for a good time to talk about how bullying affects mental health.  While bullying among children and youth is more at the forefront of public awareness, adults can also be the targets of bullying.  Workplace bullying is one form that adult bullying may take.  According to Wikipedia, most studies report a prevalence of 10-15%.

I was the target of workplace bullying several years ago, and the organization I worked for took the stance of protecting the bullies.  The effects of workplace bullying on mental health can be profound.  Here are some of those effects, taken from several research papers referenced below:

• anxiety
  • demoralized
  • despair
  • destroyed
  • fear
  • helplessness
  • hopelessness
  • isolation
  • panic attacks
  • powerlessness
  • shame
  • sleeplessness
  • undermined
  • vulnerable
  • decreased confidence and sense of self-worth
  • perceive the world as less benevolent
  • perceive other people as less supportive and caring
  • perceive the world as less just and less controllable
  • damage to personal relationships
  • threatened sense of self

Bullying is also linked to mental illness.  In a study by Mikkelsen and Einarsen, 76% of bullying targets exhibited symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.  A study by Quine found an increased risk of anxiety and depression among nurses who experienced bullying.

Kivimäki and colleagues found a significant relationship between bullying and new depression diagnoses, but they also found that people with depression were more likely to be bullied.  The researchers suggested this could be due to increased targeting by bullies or increased perception of others’ behaviours as hostile.

Words can hurt.  Adults are not somehow protected from the effects of bullying by virtue of being adults.  Bullying happens, and whether it happens to children or adults, it often goes unaddressed.  This isn’t acceptable.  Organizations need to address this issue, and stop hiding behind anti-bullying programs, using them as an excuse to stick their heads in the sand, or even worse, target the victims while protecting the perpetrator.  Bullying exists, it has major effects on mental health, and we need to speak up whenever we see it.

And that’s what I have to say this pink shirt day.

My new book Managing the Depression Puzzle is now available!

book cover: Managing the Depression Puzzle: Putting the Pieces Together by Ashley L. Peterson

Managing the Depression Puzzle, takes a holistic, everything up to and including the kitchen sink look at how to put together the pieces of your unique depression puzzle.  It’s available on Amazon and other online retailers as well as the Mental Health @ Home Store.

References

27 thoughts on “The Effects of Bullying on Mental Health

1. mentallyillinamerica says:

Bullying by others, affected me for much of my young life. The bullying didn’t fully go away for me in the military 100% either, it was mostly gone, but I remember an incident. Any how, bullying is something that is very troubling for me to think about. Only because it still exists.

Well, I sort of regret that I’m wearing a gray shirt today! 😮

Bullying is horrible, especially when its underlying cause is gross immaturity and the enjoyment of destroying others. One of my coworkers when I worked at residential treatment facilities was Gail Lackey, and she had so much fun laughing and joking about me behind my back. Like, why? It kept spiraling out of control, and she ultimately wrangled about a dozen or more coworkers into her backstabbing sessions of fun. The worst, I think, was when she gave me a soft drink as a peace offering that she’d laced with Alka Seltzer. She laughed and laughed when I got in trouble for being sick without telling our supervisor about it. Pieces of lowlife scum like Gail Lackey shouldn’t be sharing the planet with the rest of us. She was ugly like a giant blob of human waste. She had no inner beauty nor any redeeming qualities. Basically, her life has/had no value. And that’s not just sad, it’s pathetic. Some people say that everyone has inherent worth and value, but I don’t think those people have ever met Gail Lackey. She was worth about as much as a discarded chewing gum wrapper, although that analogy makes litter look worse than it is.

I like to think she’s dead. It’s possible. We need less human waste on our planet. All she did was take up space and steal air the rest of us could be breathing. Scumbags like her shouldn’t even be born in the first place. Oh well.

3. Liz says:

As you know Ashley, I was bullied at school and although the effects of that bullying affected me in adult life, I know kids of today seem to get it worse.

As for bullies in the adult world, I have had that in the last few years of my last job I was in before I finally left and in job where I am today. I wasn’t alone in that bullying, as it affected my colleague too. But for two ocassions where I was bullied on my own by them, this brought my anxiety attacks out even more, which resulted in panic attacks.
    They were eventually sorted by people higher than them. But damage was already done to me in my eyes and I have never looked back since leaving there. I now have two different employers who are much more caring then them and as I found supportive too.

4. skinnyhobbit says:

I’ve been bullied for most of my school career by peers and teachers, just like several friends. It seems like being a victim of parental or familial abuse makes one a bigger target. Like people sense or realise we have no advocates.

I’ve been bullied in several jobs too, which definitely affected and still affect my mental health.

5. marandarussell says:

I was bullied horribly in middle school and at at least a couple workplaces. After much therapy, I realize that I am just a magnet to abusers, having been raised by one 🙁 That awareness helps me try to set boundaries now though and stay away from people who act certain ways.

6. wediditptsd says:

Thank you for writing about your experience so that we can all benefit from learning about the importance of standing up to bullying. We have not seen it in the workplace, and we have heard about it.

We were a bully in the first few years of school. We modeled the violence in our household. We were a kid trying to get our needs met in the way we knew how. Teachers used violence against us, too, which reinforced our use of violence.

When we stopped growing early, like age 9, and everyone else passed us, we did not change our ways because our household was still the same. We developed a sharp tongue. And we got beat up a fair amount. The violence–verbal and physical at school and at home–continued throughout high school.

Going to college helped. We learned so much not just from books but also from being away from home, seeing how other people related to one another–some in the same ways as we and some differently. Change did not arrive quickly, and the process of opening up to love and nonjudgment and imperfection and trust, etc., is ongoing. We wish people would not use violence to get their needs met, and the solution may be to teach them new ways, help meet their human needs in ways that discourage violence. Posts like this seem to be part of the solution. Much support for you on pink shirt day

7. kachaiweb says:

It is so stupid to take your frustration out on others or to inflate your ego by putting others down. I’ve never understood it and I never will.
    I know it ruins lives and can leave deep scars in people. ‘Just being assertive’ won’t always help and to target the bullies can have a temporary effect (I think). The most important is the middle group. We need to speak up and give a sign that it’s not ok. Like the Pink Shirts. In that way the bullies won’t get the attention they (maybe) want.

8. Invisibly Me says:

I hadn’t heard of Pink Shirt Day before but that’s a fantastic initiative. I think more countries should take a lesson from Canada. Bullying really can impact mental health and, as much as we may want to say ‘get over it’ or that time heals all wounds, it can sadly have a long-lasting, deep effect throughout life.xx

9. cheriewhite says:

I’m so sorry you were bullied, Ashley! Bullying is one of the worst things a person can go through.

What you posted is absolutely true! Bullying in school caused me to have severe depression. It got so bad that I attempted suicide when I was 14 and almost didn’t make it.

I wasn’t bullied as an adult until my late thirties. I suffered workplace bullying in the nursing home I worked it. However, I was able to stay a few steps ahead of the bullies and quit on my own terms. It’s sad that most adults aren’t as fortunate as I was.

Thank you for posting! Awareness of bullying in all age groups must be spread!

And know that none of it was your fault and that there are people who are!