It’s Random Acts of Kindness Day

Random Acts of Kindness Day: Make Kindness a Habit - handprints with hearts in the centre

I discovered this morning from LittleTinkablee‘s blog that today is Random Acts of Kindness Day.

According to the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, these are some of the benefits of kindness:

• releases the feel-good hormone oxytocin, which also lowers blood pressure
  • boosts energy
  • stimulates the brain’s reward centre
  • produces endorphins, which decrease pain
  • decreases levels to the stress hormone cortisol
  • decreased anxiety and depression
  • promotes happiness

For a very cute take on loving-kindness meditation, check out this video from Greater Good at UC Berkeley:

How will you be kind today?

27 thoughts on “It’s Random Acts of Kindness Day

1. Hilary Tan says:

It’s good that people are becoming more aware of practicing random acts of kindness. The more I practice it, the more I want to continue doing it. Helping someone else is a great way to lift up your spirits too.

A couple days ago I was the mall, and a native homeless couple asked me for some change. I don’t typically carry cash with me so I only had 35 cents to give them. I had a freebie sticker card for a free MCDs hot beverage (coffee/hot chocolate/latte) so I gave them that too. Then I told them to wait for me so I could go to the store to get them their favorite snack. Several minutes later I came back with a family-sized bag of chips and a couple bottles of water for them. It’s not much, but it’s a lot more than what I would have done in the past. And there’s free coffee refills at MCDs so they could easily get two hot beverages from that tab I gave them.

• Kate Mckenzie says:

Today I pulled up on a quiet lane where some men were working nearby mending a fence. I was clutching my secateurs and looking for brambles and ivy to cut to feed “Terry” the stick insect who we are looking after for a friend.
      Seeing that I had no gloves to protect my hands one of the men came over and helped me as he was wearing thick thorn proof gloves (although I think he was also overcome with curiosity about why I was rooting round in the hedge row!!)

He could have ignored me and carried on with his job but he didn’t and his act of kindness made my day

2. Maja says:

I think it’s quite sad that we need to remind people (myself included) to be kind.
    Anyhow, you’re doing a great job with promotion, Ashley Leia. It’s a nice reminder.

3. seaofwordsx says:

What a beautiful post! Loved it and also the cute video. I also liked the picture. Being kind is so important because we never know what someone is going through. A few days ago I sent beautiful tulips to my friend in UK and she loved it 💖 Making others happy also makes you happy. I love to surprise people

4. KINDNESS says:

Congratulations 🎆 keep writing the world needs to listen and memorize. You are contributing to Human Rights bless you 🙇😂🕯️🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

5. Jo says:

Beautiful post 🙂 happy random acts of kindness day. I think I would prefer this day over the other holidays in the year. I will pencil this in for next year!