How Do You Find New Blog Viewers?

Mental Health @ Home Blogging About Blogging: How Do You Find New Blog Viewers?

For various reasons, most of us like it when we get brand new blog viewers.  It may be because it’s great to have a new voice added to the conversation, or it may be for more business-oriented reasons, or it could be a confidence-booster.

Even though, at least for most of us, numbers are not where the true value of blogging lies, generally speaking having new people make their way to your blog is a positive thing that offers the potential for more interactions.

Where might those new blog viewers come from, and how might they find you?  A couple of possibilities are from social media and from within WordPress itself.

Twitter comment threads

I got thinking about this when Sophie from Girl vs World mentioned in a post a little while back that she gets a lot of views on her blog from Twitter comment threads.

I’m on Twitter, but I don’t spend a lot of time on it, so I wasn’t immediately sure what she meant.  When I had a look through my Twitter feed, I noticed posts like the one below, which I’d always just scrolled on by before.

blog comment thread tweet

There are a variety of different Twitter accounts that run these kinds of things, but the basic idea is the same.  You’re supposed to leave a comment with a link to your latest blog post, retweet the comment thread, and have a look at (and comment on) the posts that other people leave links to in the thread.

I’m not sure how I managed to never notice this, especially since I somehow managed to end up following several of these types of accounts, but now that I’m aware of it, I’m rather fascinated and have multiple questions.

I can see how this would generate views, but I wonder if it would actually translate to more followers.  At least some of the other people leaving their own links on the thread are going to play fair and check out other people’s blogs.  However, I’m guessing that for a certain segment of people participating the primary motivator is to be discovered rather than to discover other blogs, and I wonder how many of those people would choose to actually hang out and stay awhile.

I would also wonder if there are diminishing returns the more often one participates in these comment threads.  And is there much new blood getting injected into these threads, or is mostly the same people over and over?

Another question I have is if it makes a difference to be one of the first to drop a link on one of these threads.  I’ve noticed a few bloggers who are really on top of that.  I would never be able to be that on the ball, but I’m curious how much difference it actually makes.

It’s completely possible that I’m totally missing the boat on something that’s a really useful strategy.  I certainly hope that it’s something effective for bloggers that are participating; I’m just really curious to know if it actually does work.  If you participate in these kinds of threads, please let me know in the comments what your experience has been.

WordPress

Personally, I’m very WordPress-minded.  I feel comfortable here; I like the platform, I like the community, and I feel like I know what I’m doing.  I’m actually less likely to follow another person’s blog if it’s not a WordPress blog, because (at least in my head) it feels like we’re on different islands rather than the same continent.

On a somewhat regular basis, I like to search through the WordPress Reader for new mental health blogs.  Yesterday I happened to be browsing through the Reader under the tag “depression”, and came across something very interesting.  There were quite a few posts with a handful of likes all from the same few people.  And those same few people all had quite large followings.

I have no idea if those likers are reading those posts or not, although with the most frequent I have some doubts as to whether they would actually have time to read and like that many posts.  I suspect that going along and liking a bunch of new bloggers’ posts probably gets a very high rate of return engagement.

Does it even matter?

For people who are hoping to make some income off blogging, increasing numbers will need to be a major part of that.  For everyone else, it’s nice to be able to meet some new people with new ideas who have made their way to our blogs.

There probably is no single “best” way to get new eyeballs on your blog.  What works best for your blog will depend a lot on what it is you’re trying to accomplish.  When it comes to numbers, organic community-building is probably not the quickest way to grow, but I suspect it’s the best way to gain consistent followers.

Are there any strategies you use to try to find new blog viewers?  How well have they worked for you?

You can find more posts about blogging on the Blogging & Writing Tips page.

Mental Health @ Home Store: Building a WordPress.com Blog from the Ground Up

Want more blogging tips?

The MH@H Store has a FREE how-to guide on building a WordPress.com blog from the ground up.  It’s got lots of useful tips whether you’re just getting started or wanting to take advantage of more of WordPress’s features.

50 thoughts on “How Do You Find New Blog Viewers?

I think I’m pretty consistent with what I write and how I write.
    Granted, I have the mental health series, but I also add in something I’ve always been passionate about, and that is writing poetry, short stories, and the daily quotes.
    For me, it’s a balance.
    It’s funny you mentioned the “Don’t pay attention to the numbers”, I’ll admit… I’m thrilled I hit over 3000 followers, but I didn’t announce the hapiness factor of it because, I honestly don’t know how legit the number is. However, I’m really pleased I reached it regardless.

2. Invisibly Me says:

Great tips. I don’t really use Twitter for those post sharing threads, but I use Facebook for them (like Chronic Illness Bloggers and similar). I’m never the first to put my post up though, not sure when’s best to do it really. I must admit I don’t use search terms on the viewer to find new content, I’ll have to give that a go!
    Caz xx

3. Hilary Tan says:

I just stick to WordPress and link my blog to my IG profile, even though I’m not active on Instagram and haven’t updated it in ages. I get the majority of traffic through WordPress so I make sure to spend the majority of my time on this platform.

I’m just trying to utilize what WordPress has to offer! I rather get good at one thing than to be “average” on a bunch of things.

• Hilary Tan says:

I’m not sure which podcast it was, but the host said something about getting really good at one thing instead of trying to be good at everything. It really resonated with me.

• Hilary Tan says:

The hardest part is figuring out what matters most, and what doesn’t matter as much. I’m still trying to figure out whether it’s worth continuing with Facebook and Instagram. My husband says to keep Facebook because it displays the marital status, which is silly for that reason only. I haven’t used my profile since 2017. Unless they come out with messenger lite for iPhones, I can’t see myself using Facebook anytime soon. For now, I’ve given up on messenger too. Texting works just fine, but it’s a shame hardly anyone uses it these days.

4. marandarussell says:

I’m trying really hard to not care so much about numbers of followers and such anymore. Trying to focus more on interaction and reaching out to others. Because honestly I feel better about myself when I am supportive of others than when I am trying to manipulate people to support me. Luckily, when you reach out to others, often they reach back anyway 🙂 I’m trying to not care if they don’t reach back and just freely give encouragement and support. It is sort of a personal Zen-like ego overcoming mission lol. Of course, I only have so much time in the day and can’t do it all, but I try to do what I can. Like you, I often look up subjects I am interested in and try to find new people to reach out to here, on IG, and on Twitter.

5. Johnzelle Anderson says:

Twitter threads never helped much with boosting engagement with any of my blogs in the past. But I agree, it’s tough to increase engagement

6. kachaiweb says:

I have no idea, not one. People just find my blog, like you did. That helped me a lot! <3
    I use Twitter but I don't get it and also don't many people come over to my blog from there. I guess the most followers I receive are through reading other blogs (I use the tags to search in WP) and commenting or liking. I have some views coming through Pinterest but I don't think they will follow. I also met someone who liked my comment somewhere and then again and then she subscribed.
    As for groups of fb or twitter treads, I don't know if that will work and if I am interested in that. I mean, someone needs to read you blog first – I think – to be interested. When you're interested in twitter that is something else, it feels more to me to be 'numbers based' I can be wrong though.
    I also got new followers as a result of appearing here in the emerging bloggers series and through blogging awards.

I like being able to find other bloggers through other people’s blogs, whether that be blog awards or guest posts or even seeing what they’re talking about in the comments section.

7. ezi2015 says:

How DO you find new bloggers? I’ve done it by going other bloggers pages and GENUINELY like the page or I check out comments on pages like yours and then go to THEIR blog and see if I like and if I do m, I follow them. The thing though for me is I’m not getting enough followers and I don’t know why? Is it because I don’t post often? Is it because I don’t post any sort of video (I’m on the free program)? Is it cuz my stuff isn’t interesting enough (I write about my life as well the mental health through stuff I watch)? I don’t know what I’m doing wrong😞

8. NooseGirl says:

I belong to several Facebook support groups for mental illness, bipolar disorder, and psychosis. A lot of times, someone will ask a question that I have a blog post specifically addressing it and I will just invite them via link. Other people will check it out and I’ve gotten followers that way.
    I have a twitter account too and use it to engage with the mental health community there, but I don’t think I’ve received many, if at all, followers via Twitter.
    I have also commented on YouTube videos that deal with the subject matter of one of my posts and included a link to it. I’ve gotten a few followers that way too.

9. Michelle says:

I do participate in the blog threads. I do get a small number of reads and follows from it. What I have found is the time does matter but you don’t need to be the first. If comment 5 hours after it’s been up, you most likely won’t get reads from it. The title you share plays a big part too. I found that certain titles I use to get reads get more attention than others.

I have been told Pinterest is big in getting more reads and follows. I have read a lot about it and have tried most of the tips and still get zero results. I am not sure why. My posts seem to do the best on twitter

Good to know about the blog threads.

With Pinterest I’ve found that volume matters. The more you pin – both your own content and repinning others’ – the better your chances that a few of your pins will do really well and start bringing a lot of people to your blog,

10. The Moody Mom says:

I joined Twitter years ago for fun. I struggled with it. I just couldn’t figure it out! So I gave up. Now that I wish to promote my blog, I hear all the time that I must be on Twitter. Ugh! I’m just about at my limit on learning new software and techy things. Maybe in a few months…

11. LovingSummer says:

I’m surprised you all dare to link to social media where – shock! Horror! – people actually know you in real life.

I couldn’t do that and be as free to be so honest as I am. Which is probably why I only have 50 followers after going public here since July! 🤪