It’s week 24 of the Working On Us mental health prompt series over at Beckie’s Mental Mess. Please visit her post for more details. This week’s topic is managing mental health during the holidays.
- Do you have a stable relationship with your family and/or friends during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season? If your answer is (YES), please give us an example of what the holidays are like with family and/or friends? If you answered (NO), Please explain to us why not? For me it really doesn’t change anything.
- Do the holidays trigger certain memories of people, places, and things? In the past Christmas was a happy family occasion.
- Do you have a favorite holiday, if so which one and why? (Note: This does not have to be based on the current holidays coming up either). Christmas
- If you stress out during the holidays, what is the best way that you handle stressors? My family always had a very relaxed approach to Christmas, so it was never something stressful for me.
- Do holidays tend to make you melancholy? If so why? and how do you go about dealing with the depression that takes place? It’s hard in that it reminds me of how different I feel now when I’m not well.
- This is a question that anyone can answer if they feel so inclined… Do you think that the holidays are shoved down our throats every year a little quicker with each passing year? (Meaning, Halloween finished October 31st, and Christmas stuff was on the shelves October 15th), Does this trigger an emotion in you too early? Personally, I think the holiday season shouldn’t start until after American Thanksgiving, but from a retail perspective it’s no surprise that they’re pushing for earlier. I’m not really out and about in the world enough to really notice, though.
- Does your family/friends show understanding and compassion during a moment that might be hard to handle on your own? I think they try to be supportive but don’t know how. Usually I handle things best on my own.
- Do you even bother celebrating the holidays with family/friends? If you answered this question (NO), what is it that you do during the holiday? (If you answer, I try to sleep through it… It’s a fair answer). I just don’t care enough to do anything to celbrate.
- Do you avoid holiday music and TV specials during this time? I don’t actively avoid them, but I don’t seek them out either.