Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Rawpixel on Pixabay

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• Thanks so much to Kacha at Food.for.thought for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! (and if you’re not already familiar with her blog, definitely go have a look)
  • I did a post earlier this week dopamine fasting and how it’s pseudoscience to suggest your brain can actually fast from dopamine.  The post was shared on Twitter, and I got a response from Mr. Dopamine Fasting himself, Dr. Cameron Sepah, who said I was talking the title too literally.  I responded that I wasn’t the one who came up with it.  His response: “Yes, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. In the news of 7 countries and counting.”  Yes, and this kind of marketing-value-matters-more-than-accuracy douchiness is why people package things in pseudoscience in the first place – because being accurate wouldn’t sell as well.
  • I worked one shift this week, and a migraine started coming on at the end of the shift.  For me driving and migraines are a very bad combination.  That was the case again this week, and it included vomiting while in my car driving on a freeway.  Fun times.
  • It’s fascinating to see from your WP stats how people have made their way to your blog.  This week I had a number of people arrive from connectpeople.belastingdienst.nl, a site run by the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.  Um, okay…
  • My massage therapist has started her maternity leave, so this week I had a massage from another therapist at the same clinic.  Ugh.  It’s hard to say how much is because my regular therapist is totally amazing, and how much is that this new person isn’t a great fit for me.  I’m going to try one more massage, and if I’m not happy with that one either I think I’ll just shelve the whole massage idea until my regular person is back from mat leave.
  • Pretty much every day I have a brief surge of worry about the future right before bedtime.  I’ve gotten used to it and don’t tend to pay much attention to it, but it’s been more intense this week.
  • I got my new journal for next year’s bullet journal, so I’m in the process or setting up the various grids for things I track.  That’s the annoying part.  After that’s done I get to start having fun with stickers.

As guests on my blog this week, I had:

How has your week been?

MH@H Store book bundle: Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple

You can find my books Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple on the MH@H Store, as well as Amazon and other major retailers.

30 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. Johnzelle Anderson says:

That migraine sounded awful but maybe you can spin it into a humor piece? You’re in good company about worrying about the future. My therapist recommended book “The four fold way”.

2. eirlysgwenllian says:

Oh nooo, that migraine thing sounds really horrid! Riding in the car is bad enough with a migraine and I can only imagine that driving must be hellish. Our brains are really malicious that they start to worry, overthink and all that just at the best time, right before sleep! I hope the increase in it that you’re having is just temporary.

3. kachaiweb says:

Thank you for the shoutout! That’s so nice <3
    I'm really happy you told Mr Dopamine 7 Countries what you thought of it. They are ruthless no?
    Ditch the Dutch site that is not correct, it would be without the 'connectpeople'.
    My week I can only describe as: 'Hold on to what you got and don't let it slip away'.
    I hope your migraines won't return to haunt you!
    Have a nice weekend!

4. Liz says:

Have not done anything this werk then work and back at home, with a few hours sleep on a couple of days, before my evening job.
    I have been ready for the weekend and just having a relaxing weekend. One more week to go at work, before a week off at both jobs.
    Picked up my new shoes I ordered this morning, then straight back home. Had my lunch before spending a few hours chatting with my neighbour at his. Now I am just relaxing, rest of the night at mine. Shall have an egg sandwich soon and maybe watch a dvd.
    Tomorrow, I have nothing planned unless something comes up.

Ashley, I’m so sorry your getting those nasty migraines again. I actually am trying to beat one since yesterday. It wasnt the brightest idea to go shopping, but I was in need of just about everything. 🙄
    Worry about the future is something I can also relate to. It does suck the life at of you.
    I hope you are able to calm and find peace tonight. 💗

Hi there! You actually heard from the guy behind dopamine fasting? Get. OUT! That’s wild! 😀 He didn’t appreciate your post? That’s, like, so hilarious. I guess he told you! 😀

Sorry to hear of your migraine! I’ve never had one, and I hear they’re the worst. I hope you’re feeling better now!!

My week has been wild and crazy, as usual. Never a dull moment! I got a transcriptionist job online!! Go me!!

That’s awesome about the job!

I doubt the dopamine guy read my post. I share all my blog posts on Twitter, and he probably keeps an eye out for anyone using the #dopaminefasting hashtag. I was definitely amused.

7. Hannah Celeste says:

Oh I’m so sorry you experienced that terrible migraine and vomiting, that sounds absolutely awful. ALSO my take on Dr. Pseudoscience’s response to you: when people lash out defensively it often means that you hit on something true. So GOOD JOB on disturbing him and calling him out on his BS!!!

8. limitlessmare says:

Congrats on the nomination 🙂

P.U. on the substitute massage therapist, hope the next time is an improvement

I too am plagued by worries of the future. It wakes me in the middle of the night and follows me around all day trying to get my attention. Snarky turd…

9. Kari Anne Watterson says:

Congratulations on the award, Ashley! That’s really cool. And migraines are the worst! When my daughter gets them everything makes her nauseous. I’m glad you’re feeling better. I get to thinking about the future during the day, occasionally in the middle of the night. Someone suggested doing a journal brain dump before bed to let all the thoughts out so you can sleep. I haven’t tried that in a while but maybe they’re on to something because when my thoughts are squirrelly during the day, journaling does help clear and reset my mind. Hmmm. I like your weekend wrapups. It’s nice to catch up with you. I hope you have a great week. – K

10. Invisibly Me says:

Migraines and driving are a dangerous combination. Luckily I’ve never puked while driving, I’ve always been able to pull over and hurl like a lady at the side of the road 😉
    Great to see the Dutch Tax & Government departments like your blog 😂
    I hope the next massage can go a bit better, but I don’t know how I’d feel if I’d become comfortable with someone fantastic for a while to then have to move to someone else who’s not as good a fit.
    xx