New book release!
Making Sense of Diagnosis: Understanding the DSM-5
The ebook version is available on all of these sites. The paperback version is only available through Amazon.
Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis, the new book release from MH@H Books, aims to cut through the misinformation, stigma, and assumptions that surround mental illness and give a clear picture of what mental illness really is.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5th edition (DSM-5) has been criticized for overly subjective diagnostic criteria and pathologizing normal human experience. This book will discuss the right and the wrong way to use the DSM, and the problems inherent in trying to diagnose oneself or others.
The book is structured based on diagnostic groupings in the DSM-5. It will help readers to understand the diagnostic criteria for a wide range of different mental illnesses, and gain an appreciation for what those criteria actually mean. Since symptom criteria can only capture a part of what a condition is truly like, many of the diagnoses in this book are paired with narratives from contributors with first hand lived experiences of these illnesses.
With the fusion of diagnostic information, clinical experience, and lived experience, this book offers a unique, well-rounded perspective on the reality of mental illness.
With contributions from:
- Autumn Skies from Autumn Skies Blog
- Alexis Rose from Untangled
- Alice Franklin from How to Have Tourette’s
- Beckie from Beckie’s Mental Mess
- Candace from Revenge of Eve
- Casey from This Bipolar Brat
- Caz from Invisibly Me
- Christina from Sea of Words
- Elle Rose from Secret Lady Spider
- Iggy from Color Me Bipolar
- Johnzelle from Panoramic Counseling
- Katie from Bipolar Brave
- Katie from Confessions From a Sufferer of Anxiety and Depression
- Luftmentsch from Vision of the Night
- Meg from Where Good Advice Happens
- Noha Nova from Schizoaffective Disorder and My Life
- Paula from Light Motifs II
- Wonderfull Creature from Mental Illness Worrior
A huge thank you to all of the amazing contributors!
This post contains affiliate links.