Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Rawpixel on Pixabay

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• I had a rather unpleasant exchange with another blogger.  They had emailed me asking for some blogging tips, and it was actually someone who I’d just unfollowed a couple days prior to that after they’d expressed some views about a connection between mental illness and violence, and I have no interest in having that kind of thing in my feed.  Anyway, I responded to this person with some assorted tips and mentioned that while they had every right to have and post whatever opinion they wanted, the kind of post like the one on mental illness and violence can affect the ability to gain and maintain followers in the mental health community, and I admitted that I had actually unfollowed them for that reason.  I got a response about how awful I was, etc., etc.  That’s never fun, but taking a step back it was an interesting illustration of how BPD tends to make people interpret things as a personal rejection even when that’s not actually present.
  • I was nominated for the mystery blogger award by the lovely SKelly of Fabric that Made Me.  Thank you so much!  And as to her question about fate/destiny vs. deciding our own future, I’m of the belief that while there may be many forces beyond our control, there’s not some mysterious fate monster lurking around deciding what to do with our lives.  And if there was, I’d want to kick his ass.  Seriously.
  • I was also nominated for the blogger recognition award by the fabulous Suzi of My Colorful Life.  Thank you!
  • It’s been a rough week.  Something happened that hurt a lot, and it’s been really hard.  It’s messed up my sleep, and there’s something very frustrating about going to bed and then being awake before it’s a new day yet.
  • Some people have mentioned they’ve been having problems with commenting on my blog lately; this seems to be an issue since I upgraded my blog plan last week.  I apologize, and I don’t know how to fix it.  Interestingly enough, though, since the upgrade I’ve had a handful of legit comments end up in my spam folder, but I haven’t received any actual spam.  Well, except for a few comments ranting about ECT being evil, but I think those were left by an actual human rather than a spambot.
  • A prominent blogger announced this week that WordPress is dying, to which I say hell to the no.  We’ve got a great thing going on here.

How has your week been?

Have you checked out my new book Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis?  It’s available on Amazon and other major ebook retailers.  It’s also available on the Mental Health @ Home Store, along with my first book, Psych Meds Made Simple.

41 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

• fabricthatmademe says:

Firstly, I love your blog and your courage to stand your ground. However, I hate you had that experience with another blogger. I also cannot believe WordPress is dying! This place is full of beautiful creators that have been not only inspiring to me in my own professional journey but more importantly my mental health journey. I’m so thankful for this community and the bloggers that has taken the time to help me in so many different ways. Your blog being one of those places ❤️

1. Penny Wilson Writes says:

Sorry that you had a bad week. <3 On the blogger with whom you had the unpleasant exchange, those people, thankfully, are the minority here. You did the right thing to unfollow. I would have done the same. I did something similar with a blogger a couple of years ago. Everyone has the right to their opinion and the right to free speech. But, YOUR blog is YOUR property and if you choose to not have that content on it, that is YOUR right!
    I saw the post about WordPress dying. NO WAY. It's not. There are too many good-hearted people here to let that happen. The person that originally said that was just trying to stir the pot.
    Congrats on your awards! Hang in there! I'm glad you're here! 🙂

2. Paula Light says:

Since the increase in mass shootings here in the US, people are looking for things to blame other than the obvious, which is our easy access to arsenals of weapons. They focus on various things while avoiding looking at the elephant. Video games. Mental illness. Bad parenting. Lack of Jesus. Yada.

I think people like to say bold stuff like “blogging is dead” to generate response. If you post that you enjoy blogging, people will just shrug.

Sorry you had a stressful week.

I’m so sorry about the unpleasantness you experienced with the blogger you unfollowed. It’s a shame when people always associcate violence and mental illness all in the same category. Not Good At All!
    I read the same thing about WP dying, I just can’t place who actually wrote it. I say hell to the no along with you!
    I thought you were no longer accepting awards? I have received a few and I always think of you, but then realize you are not accepting them. What gives? Can I nominate you or not?

4. Liz says:

WordPress may seem broken with the issues it has, but certainly not dying.

I have seen and avoided posts to do with mental health and violence. It’s not my cup of tea and with past history (not related to guns) and now, I am not in the right frame of mind to read it.

My week has been quiet, but took the time to see mum for a few hours. I had not seen mum for over a week prior to this with wanting to keep myself to myself.
    I had my week off work as you know. I stayed in mostly except for today and a couple of days ago when I was back at the doctor’s.
    I have done some baking and watching DVD’s when not sleeping.
    Tomorrow will be bird watching in the afternoon with conservation group.

5. MandK says:

That’s what we might have thought, too. Your upgrade may have sent a bunch of your comments into the spam/trash folder. Congratulations on your awards!

6. Michelle says:

I had to pay 361 to get my brakes on my car fix. I found out at the same time I now have a gas leak.

I read that blog post too about wordpress dying. I don’t think it is either. I think it is because people lose interest and want to read something different. People’s interest change over time.

Oh no!! Feel free to email me and tell me what went wrong that hurt you! Maybe I can come up with some brainstorming tips to fix your sleep schedule as well–oh, I HATE it when my sleep schedule goes wrong!! I hope you manage to fix that issue ASAP!! Sorry about the blogger disaster! I hate that link between mental illness and violence too!!

I would pay five dollars to watch you kick the fate monster’s ass.

My week has been great! I think. No, actually, it hasn’t been. Huh. Go figure. One day I’ll remember more clearly! 😀 In the meantime, I guess it’s nice to think I had a great week!

8. Eilidh Horder says:

I hope next week is better for you. xx
    My week has been pretty good until my partner was hospitalised – probably nothing major this time – but it’s brought back lots of memories from when he was in Intensive Care for a month… so I’m trying to remember to take care of myself this time too (so that I can take care of him and our kids). xx

9. eirlysgwenllian says:

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough week, and when there are sleep issues on top of it it’s really no fun. I really hate when I feel like rubbish and can’t even sleep properly, because I like to sleep it through when I feel really crappy. I hope next week will be better for you. 🙂

10. Carol Anne says:

hi hun! thanks to you I know more now about my upgrade to business plan! thank you so much for your help with that! also, sorry about the unpleasant experience you had! some people have issues, that’s all I’ll say! as for wp dying? whatever! I highly doubt it! Too much hype about nothing IMO! xoxo

11. aguycalledbloke says:

Wow another blogger who thinks WP is dying, l shared a post the other day from someone who thought the same? Considering the big Tygpress win we can celebrate which was won because of WP l am surprised bloggers feel this way? If this platform is dying well then it’s doing a pretty decent job of hiding that isn’t it?

Sorry to read of the disgruntlement another writer decided to subject you too.

• aguycalledbloke says:

Yes, that is it spot on. The blog l shared from hasd 92 followers and never received a lot of ‘readings’, but they were comparing other platforms to WP. My philosophy is simple everyone has a chosen platform they prefer – some like FB, others like Twit, others still Instie, again many like Blogger and the list goes on and on, now all platforms have something that is significantly different from the next and some people prefer those things – but as you know, l don’t like the closeness of FB, the speed of Twit and the list goes on. For me WP is like the three bears porridge … ahh just right 🙂

12. visionarytrailblazin says:

Many times, we must take the good with the uncomfortable. You rock in my eyes! This week has been a period of regrouping and reflecting. Since I have a little break, I am writing more. Overall, I feel okay. Smile, your content is amazing!