Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:
- I worked two nights this week, both covering sick calls. For the first one, they were calling out the shift two hours before it was supposed to start, and I was asleep. Normally my first few hours asleep I’m totally dead to the world, but the phone actually did wake me up, so I figured that was a sign I should take the shift. I was pretty tired, and driving home in the morning was slightly frightening.
- There was one day this week I was really dizzy. I had intended to walk to the grocery store, but couldn’t manage to walk in a straight line, so had to put the kibosh on that.
- I was cleaning my boy guinea pigs’ cage and decided to let them roam freely around the bathroom (which is where their cage is). They decided that wasn’t good enough, so they moseyed into my bedroom and took up residence under the bed. It was quite the production trying to get them out. Plus it’s the time of year when fruit flies like to set up shop in the guinea pigs’ bedding. Given that my piggies are little poop factories, this isn’t too surprising, but it’s annoying as hell.
- I baked some cookies this week, which I haven’t done for quite a while. Reese’s peanut butter chip – yum.
- There’s work being done on my building and it’s loud and oh so obnoxious. As if my concentration wasn’t bad enough already without this whole situation going on.
- I’m reminded again of just how good my massage therapist is at dealing with my strong startle response. I was paying more attention during this week’s massage, and I noticed she always first touches me very lightly with her fingertips before she starts doing her thing. And if she’s moving from my back down to my legs she trails her fingers lightly down my body (not in a creepy way) rather than taking her hands off and then touching me again. She’s absolutely amazing.
Over on Medium this week, I decided to recycle some articles that I had submitted months ago to publications that I never heard back from:
- Life lessons from Saved By The Bell in 1 Minute Reads
- The ideal mental health professional in Feel, Heal, Share
- All the pieces in Messy Mind
- Why I told my patient I’ve been suicidal in Invisible Illness
- I’d rather fall off the horse, thanks in Writers On The Run
- Depression is a thief in The Obscured
I received a message from the creative director of the Out Of The Mist mental health photography competition. The competition entry fee is $20 USD, but there’s a 40% discount with the code OM01-XR3JH. I thought I would pass it along in case it’s of interest to any of you.
How has your week been?