There’s a lot that illness has taken away from me. Here are a few things that I miss:
- Planning and getting excited about where my next travel destination might be
- Enjoying going out to eat
- Enjoying spending time with close friends
- Being interested in going to theatre performances
- Having fun getting ready to go out somewhere nice
- Wanting to do road trips with friends
- Feeling positive about my work
- Enjoy social time with coworkers
- Caring about how I look – not in a self-critical way, but having fun with clothes, accessories, and makeup
- Feeling hopeful about the future
- Feeling happy
- Enjoying local seasonal events
- Feeling like there were lots of options open to me and I was in control
- Being interested in book clubbing and writers festivals
- Enjoying winery tours and wine festivals
I would be capable of doing the action-based items on this list, but it’s the capacity for interest/enjoyment that’s gone. And I’ve found that trying to do things anyway but not enjoying them tends to just make me feel worse, as it emphasizes the contrast.
Are there things that used to be positive for you that you now miss?
Embrace Acceptance: A Guided Journal draws on concepts from acceptance and commitment therapy to help you move towards a place of greater acceptance. It’s available FREE from the MH@H Store.