Mental health bloggers needed!

Book cover: Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis by Ashley L Peterson

I’m currently working on my next book, Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis.  In it I’m peeling apart the diagnostic criteria for multiple different diagnoses to give a clearer, more reader-friendly picture of what each illness actually looks like.

Since the DSM criteria can never fully capture what it’s like to experience a given illness, I was looking for your help to add first-hand narratives of what it’s like living with the various kinds of illnesses.

Update:

I received some amazing contributions, and the book is now a reality.  As such, I’m no longer looking for contributions, but a huge thank you to everyone who’s expressed interest!

Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis is now available, and you can find it on:

136 thoughts on “Mental health bloggers needed!

1. kbr0632 says:

I have ocd (pure o) rumination and googling and seeking reassurance. I think I also have health anxiety. I have major depression. Panic attacks. Suicidal ideation. PTSD. You name it. I’ve got it. I hate my life right now and don’t see any good right now.

I’d be interested in writing about autism or OCD, but I’m not sure whether I’m the ideal person; my autism is not officially diagnosed and my OCD was centred on Jewish ritual observance in a way that may be difficult for readers to connect with, particularly with such a small word-count. Interesting project, though, good luck with it.

3. Invisibly Me says:

Such a good idea to get personal, first hand insights included and it’s lovely you’ve reached out to your blogging family first ♥
    I have experience with a few of these, I’d be happy to contribute something perhaps on bulimia or GAD. Sounds like a few others here are also keen to write something, but I’ll drop you an email soon anyway 🙂
    xx

4. Nat says:

I would love to be a contributor but never been officially diagnosed with either social anxiety disorder or trichotillomania. Either way, best of luck to you for your book as you put it together.

5. Keto For Beginners says:

I could write a bit on my son’s ADD diagnosis as to what we went through trying to get him diagnosed, the medicine rollercoaster, and what has happened in the aftermath. He was actually diagnosed with ADD, clinical depression, and oppositional defiant disorder. If that would be any help.

6. Suze says:

My husband has bipolar disorder, type 2, without schizotypal tendencies……I can add some information on living with a person with this diagnosis. I have to admit, i get extremely disgusted with the medication company’s adverts on television about bipolar…they seem to think all bi’s have extremely manic episodes …they don’t understand at all the variations of mania involved.

7. clive says:

I’ll be interested Ashley, although they haven’t diagnosed which type of bipolar I’ve got, I’m pretty sure it’s cyclothymia. I’ll email you 👍

• Burning Phoenix says:

Alrighty.
        I imagine also having someone with bipolar disorder as the “affective” side of schizoaffetive disorder would be ideal? Just thought I’d mention it because you said you’re updating the list of needed contributors often

8. Johnzelle says:

If you can’t find someone for adjustment disorder, I can take that one too. I touched on it in my GAD chapter but can hone in for the adj dx. Just let me know 🙂

Do you think that was a valid diagnosis given the anxiety disorder? I think if I include an adjustment disorder narrative it would probably be clearest if it was a stand-alone diagnosis.

9. ICT Genealogist says:

If you ever need a Biploar I mixed episodes, rapid cycling (ultradian as mine can cycle daily on bad days), throw in a side order of OCD and adult ADHD viewpoint, let me know. I even have a couple of cool (as in sad) stories that I can give you although those might be better if not attributed to me directly. My BP has been med resistant until Lamictal although it still has its days.

10. Ella Rice says:

Not sure if I am too late! I suffer from both MDD and GAD, and I am also a clinical psychologist in trainee. If you still need any input, please do let me know! (I am very new here!)

11. livwbp says:

I have Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety, and PTSD. I’ve been on many many psychiatric drugs and none of them work. I have tried to commit suicide once. I did and had to be brought back.
    My life is a train wreck.
    Medication doesn’t help and therapists the ones I have seen have been a joke.
    I’d love a real life but I guess that’s impossible.

12. Amy Irvin says:

Dam it! I missed this one. I can’t work due to brachial plexus injury (right arm doesn’t work) & severe head injury in 2013, which leaves me going through a wave of emotions – One day I will be on top of the world… next I’m at rock bottom barely able to function. I would have been an awesome case study! I suffer depression at times as well as severe anxiety. Since 2014, health & fitness has become a big part of my life, I had a baby in 2017, married 2018, another kid 2019. I would love to interact if you get a chance! aquoonline.com or https://www.facebook.com/aquoonline/ 🙂 have a lovely day! Xx

13. violatogom says:

I would like to write about tuberous sclerosis complex or graymass defect but still have little information ever researched only my experience as a person living with it.

14. SunsetsAndStrangers says:

I don’t have a mental illness but I blogged about how the quarter life crisis is actually real. And how the amount of pressure I felt when I reached 25 to get my shit together nearly sent me to depression. I think there needs to be more awareness that even the “mentally healthy” (I use this term loosely) can start to deteriorate if they don’t recognise it soon.

15. Crazy Thinking says:

i would love to write a piece for you, i suffer with depression and on a daily basis i actually think about committing suicide. Everyone tells me i shouldn’t feel this way and that there is so much to live for. For some reason i don’t see it. If you want someone to be open and transparent about how they feel daily then i’m up for it

16. lostinmyhead07 says:

I have a blog about my mental health. I just started and I haven’t completely been commited to it yet. I have severe bipolar 1. Have had a pychosis 3 times and have been struggling with finding the right medication for 9 years. I’ve been trying to post blogs about day to day struggles and what’s in my head. I plan to post a blog about my last pychosis soon.

I thought Donald Trump was out to kill me and that Russia was going to drop a nuclear bomb on my house. Interesting story… I was in a pychosis for 5 months.