Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Rawpixel on Pixabay

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• The thought popped into my head that I should cut my hair off.  So I did.  I don’t particularly like it, but then again I also don’t really care all that much.  It is maybe a bit concerning, though, that I acted on a weird random thought like that.
  • My massage was cancelled this week because my therapist was sick 🙁
  • I’ve been taking naps almost every day this week.  It’s not so much that I’m tired; more that I’ve just wanted a break from being awake.
  • I don’t know if this happens to other people as well, but Pinterest is lousy at notifying me when I have new followers.  The few that it does notify me of tend to be fake accounts.  Anyway, I just discovered there were a bunch of people that had followed me without me having any idea.
  • It feel like my brain has been full of jello the last few weeks.  I got very little done this week, plus I didn’t work at all, so mostly I’ve been kind of just a lump.  I’m not saying that to be self-critical; I just don’t like not feeling well and not being able to pin down exactly what’s going on.
  • I’ve been posting over on Medium.com for a while now, and about a month ago I decided to become a paying member, since most articles are now behind their paywall.  I find myself wishing I hadn’t.  It’s possible to feel inadequate from time to time on any platform, but I find that happening to me a fair bit for me on Medium, and it’s flared up again this week.  But I do make a bit of money from writing there, plus I’ve spent the membership for a year, so I’ll probably maintain my mixed feelings relationship with the site.
  • When I graduated 15 years ago, my university overlooked me and continued to allow me full student access to the library, which meant I could access books and journals online.  Today they finally cut me off.  I knew it was bound to happen eventually, but it’s still annoying.

How has your week been?

psych meds made simple

My first book, Psych Meds Made Simple: How & Why They Do What They Do, is now available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.  It’s everything you didn’t realize you wanted to know about medications!

50 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. Liz says:

I don’t know if it can be worrying, or just daring to randomly cut off hair. As long as you don’t regret it, that’s the main thing.

I may be wrong, (my memory bad as you know) but did you miss out on your massage last time? If so, then I imagine you having that feeling of really missing it and needing it if so.

I have been at my mum’s a couple of nights at the beginning of the week, as I was painting her bedroom.

Thursday, I had half a day in Southwell, followed by an hour, or two in Nottingham, before going home.

I am in pain with my foot this week. I remember it starting in Tuesday, when I was in day 2 of painting mum’s bedroom. But I just carried on, pushing it to the back of my mind.
    By Wednesday to Thursday morning, more painful. Regardless, I went out Thursday, as this was my day and I was having it. I was in agony with my foot by the time I was home.
    I went back out to my local Argos store, to get a foot spa, so from now on, foot pain, or not, I will always plan at least 20 to 30 minutes each evening of y foot spa, followed by moisturiser.

I have noticed that I could bend my toe more today, so that’s an improvement. It’s the ball of my foot where I am having the pain.
    I bought insoles for my shoes today that I also use in my work shoes. I think with how my posture is when it comes to my feet, on top of the condition when it comes to my feet, that it’s time I use insoles all the time now. Especially now I walk a lot more than I normally do.
    When I bought these and treated myself by buying a stone painting kit, it was off to my mum’s for my birthday party, combined thank you party, that mum arranged.

I’m now at home relaxing and only thing I plan to do tomorrow, is just go and buy myself a pair of jeans and a top out of my birthday money.

Your Univerity just realized this error 15 yers later? Wholly crap! Their on the ball aren’t they…
    I feel like you… A lump. I’ve laid down every afternoon this entire week. Just to shut down. I hate this feeling, as I’m sure you do too.
    Did you cut your hair yourself, or did a professional do it?

3. Your Mental Health and You says:

Lol other than getting a serious case of writers block and found few potential prospects for literary agents not half bad. Also I’m considering getting my doctor to change my ADHD meds because they don’t work as long

4. Clive says:

Ashley, I thought you left the hair cutting to your little furry bundle of fun? I hope you can enjoy the rest of the weekend. Oh and no more cutting your hair, or your Guinea Pig won’t have nothing to do! 😊👍

I bet you look so awesome with the new haircut!! YAY!! And don’t worry; I do impulsive stuff like that all the time!! I hope it’s normal…? No clue! 😀

Pinterest is one of those sites I’ve never figured out!

What do you mean, that you think the other Medium articles are superior to yours? Oh mylanta. That blog post you wrote yesterday (I think it was yesterday) was pure genius! The one about bipolar and mood swings! How much better can the other articles be? I went through the same thing, though, when I got into writing fiction in late 2013. It made it suddenly hard for me to read other YA fiction. I’d feel intimidated, like, “Oh no! This author’s a better writer than I am!” Now, though, I don’t know if I’ve become a better writer (it’s likely, because I spent a few years researching fine grammatical issues and trying to commit them to memory) or if the YA books being published these days are really bad (also likely). But if you can pinpoint how another article seems better than yours, try to emulate it! Or run it by someone, because maybe it isn’t better. So much subjectivity!!

HA HA! Your alma mater is onto your tricks! That’s hilarious! 😀 You’ve been cut off! 😀

I’ve spent all week doing carpentry that the doggie still won’t use. It’s sort of demoralizing and exhausting, but I’m hoping for the best!!

With Medium it feels mostly like there’s a different vibe, and it’s just been hard to sync with that vibe, even though I’m semi-motivated to do so because there’s some earning potential.
      I hope Luna Petunia gets over her stairs fear soon!

6. Barb says:

Medium looks like an interesting site. Unfortunately, they wanted me to pay to read an article I was interested in. I’ll bet it’s worth the subscription. Does it cost less than what you’re paid to write for them? That could be incentive to write more.

7. Johnzelle says:

That’s awesome that you were able to squeeze an extra 15yrs out of your university acces!​ #VALUE!!! I too made a drastic change to my hair this week. Turned my frohawk into starter locs. Gonna grow out the locs and see what happens. When they mature, I want to dye one of them green just for fun. I’m sure your haircut looks great though. It always takes me at least a week to adjust to a drastic hair change. Maybe it works the same for you? Take care!

8. Revenge of Eve says:

My week has been considerably better than weeks before. I think the laying around part seems to be a theme for many of us. I have taken three naps this week and I never nap much less sleep. Just last night I laid down at 5pm to take a short nap, only to wake at 6am. Good thing I woke when I did because I had work at 7am!!

I am allowing myself to lay around guilt free because I am constantly going. I am trying to learn the art of doing nothing. It seems to be working fairly well. I am amazed you cut your own hair. What did you do? Just chop it off?

9. eirlysgwenllian says:

That’s a pity you didn’t have massage for second week in a row, I hope you will have it next week. I can understand the thing with naps. I usually really try to avoid naps at all costs, even when I have my “Zombie days” after a sleepless night, and even if I’m really sleepy and tired and groggy and all because it messes up with my sleep cycle and doesn’t do me any good in the long term, and if I have a nap too soon after actually waking up I have a great risk of sleep paralysis which I hate, but sometimes when I feel particularly low energy- and moodwise, I have such nappy days too and go to sleep whenever I can because it seems simply the most interesting thing to just switch off for a while. I hope you’ll feel better soon and will be able to do more.

10. Ashley says:

What you shared about your experience with Medium is so important. So often it feels like the only choices are feeling completely inadequate or checking out and putting my head in the sand. Sticking with what is important to you in a way you find fulfilling seems like a hard middle ground, and you are so wonderfully human and real in what you share. Thanks for what you do, it is so very important.