Mental health bloggers needed!

Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis by Ashley L Peterson

I’m currently working on my next book, Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis.  In it I’m peeling apart the diagnostic criteria for multiple different diagnoses to give a clearer, more reader friendly picture of what each illness actually looks like.

Since the DSM criteria can never fully capture what it’s like to experience a given illness, I’m looking for your help to add first-hand accounts from some of my blogging family of what it’s like living with the various kinds of illnesses.

I’m hoping to get 400-500 word accounts for each (or at least most) of the disorders covered in the book.  I realize that’s very short, but there are also a lot of diagnoses to cover.  Anyone who shares a story would be listed as a contributor to the book, and blog links would be included.  Also, contributors would get a copy of the ebook.  While many among us have multiple disorders, because of the way the book is laid out I want accounts to match up with each individual diagnosis.  Since it would be nice to include as many contributors as possible, I’m just looking for one diagnosis story per contributor (at least for now).

I’m currently looking for first-hand accounts for the following diagnoses; I’ll be updating this list often, so if a diagnosis isn’t listed here it’s already been taken:

• adjustment disorder
  • body dysmorphia
  • cyclothymia
  • gender dysphoria
  • illness anxiety disorder
  • persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia)
  • schizoaffective disorder
  • Tourette’s

If we already know each other and you’re interested in getting involved, email me: mentalhealthathome (at) gmail (dot) com.  I may open it up more broadly later on, but to start off I’m just looking to hear from my blogging family I’m already connected with.

I’m thinking about publishing the book in August/September, so there would be no rush at all to get the actual stories in.

59 thoughts on “Mental health bloggers needed!

1. kbr0632 says:

I have ocd (pure o) rumination and googling and seeking reassurance. I think I also have health anxiety. I have major depression. Panic attacks. Suicidal ideation. PTSD. You name it. I’ve got it. I hate my life right now and don’t see any good right now.

I’d be interested in writing about autism or OCD, but I’m not sure whether I’m the ideal person; my autism is not officially diagnosed and my OCD was centred on Jewish ritual observance in a way that may be difficult for readers to connect with, particularly with such a small word-count. Interesting project, though, good luck with it.

3. Invisibly Me says:

Such a good idea to get personal, first hand insights included and it’s lovely you’ve reached out to your blogging family first ♥
    I have experience with a few of these, I’d be happy to contribute something perhaps on bulimia or GAD. Sounds like a few others here are also keen to write something, but I’ll drop you an email soon anyway 🙂
    xx

4. Nat says:

I would love to be a contributor but never been officially diagnosed with either social anxiety disorder or trichotillomania. Either way, best of luck to you for your book as you put it together.

5. Keto For Beginners says:

I could write a bit on my son’s ADD diagnosis as to what we went through trying to get him diagnosed, the medicine rollercoaster, and what has happened in the aftermath. He was actually diagnosed with ADD, clinical depression, and oppositional defiant disorder. If that would be any help.

6. Suze says:

My husband has bipolar disorder, type 2, without schizotypal tendencies……I can add some information on living with a person with this diagnosis. I have to admit, i get extremely disgusted with the medication company’s adverts on television about bipolar…they seem to think all bi’s have extremely manic episodes …they don’t understand at all the variations of mania involved.