Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Rawpixel on Pixabay

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• This has been an anxious week.  Anxiety doesn’t play a huge rule in my depressive illness, but when it does show up it’s mostly physical.  This week has followed that pattern.  I have the occasional anxious thoughts about the future, but for the most part there aren’t anxious thoughts, just feeling as if I was about to go do something terrifying.  Without anxious thoughts, it’s hard to tell what’s triggering it, and therefore hard to know what to do about it.  It could be hormonal, although that’s not something that hormones have ever caused for me before, or it could be my reaction to a friend going through some problems with school.  Then again, it could be just random and stupid, and I just need to sit with it until the next wave of whatever brand of crazy rolls on in.
  • Perhaps I’m just weird, but I’ve been noticing that when I use facial expression emojis I will without thinking about it put on that expression myself. Maybe this is a good thing, although I suppose it’s a bit on the odd side if I’m around other people.
  • I didn’t work at all this week, but I did take a patient assignment to see next week that involves teaching her to use a somewhat finicky self-injection device.  There will be zero possibility of hiding my tremor, which is worse right now because of the whole physical anxiety business.  Hopefully I don’t end up stabbing myself or her.
  • I’m feeling unproductive.  There are a few things I want to be working on, but it’s been hard to focus for any length of time.  It’s as though I’m spending a lot of mental energy without actually getting anything out of it.
  • I’m not sure what the deal is with my woodpeckers.  I’ve only seen mama once this week, and I’m starting to question whether the babies I saw actually existed, because they haven’t made an appearance since then.
  • Self-care this week included a massage, yoga class, and woodpecker stalking.
  • My article “The real story on ‘shock therapy’” was published by the Hubpages site HealthProAdvice, which is kind of cool because they only publish stories by health professionals.

How has your week been?

psych meds made simple

My first book, Psych Meds Made Simple: How & Why They Do What They Do, is now available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.  It’s everything you didn’t realize you wanted to know about medications!

27 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. Liz says:

I have really looked forward to the weekend, as I was feeling frustrated with myself this week and tired. I was fed up with coughing at times that made me feel rotton. The cough is more asthma related which is now reducing with upping my preventer dosage over the last three weeks. So hopefully I should see a further difference by end of next week.

This weekend is a long weekend with being off work since Friday and not back till Tuesday.
    Mum stayed the night last night and I have not long been back at home since coming back from hers. I am watching a couple of dvds tonight, before bed.

Tomorrow, I plan to paint the bathroom ceiling, to cover the old mould I did not see when I first took this flat on with admiring the view originally.

Monday, I don’t know what I am doing. See what comes to mind, whether I stay or walk out local. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• Liz says:

Thanks. It not a new inhaler, as it’s my usual I have taken for years. The last two were at a low dosage and when I suspected it was more asthma than my cold, I upped it up. My dosage prior for last 2 years for preventer was one puff every night. But now I take two puffs at night and one in the morning.
        If my cough still proves troublesome at times, then my preventer will be my usual two puffs at morning and two at evening.
        While my cough has been unsettling, my salbutomal had been used a few times a day.
        Now, going by last few days, I am only using my salbutomal once a day on some days. So definitely my asthma that was triggered by my cold, but also it looks like pollen is going to be a problem. X

Well, WOW! You are a health professional! Congrats on getting published!! I totally want to check out the article!

Anxiety bites, and so does feeling unproductive. I’ve been having the same problem with the unproductivity. I feel spaced out a lot.

That emoji problem is total awesomeness!! Keep it up!!

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your tremor doesn’t cause problems!! And what is up with those silly woodpeckers? The mommy needs to find her babies and feed them!! 😮

Liked by 2 people

Trust me when I say this… If you are hormonal, it will mess with your anxiety! I had this lengthy discussion with my therapist, doctor, and psychiatrist. This is no joke. When I was going through menopause, even perimenopausal, my anxiety was through the roof! Thank God, I had an understanding boss through those years. He would see the fear on my face, and just tell me to either go in the conference room to chill out, or flat out send me home.
    Please just rest asmuch as you can, and try to sidetrack your mind. (The stalking of woodpecker’s) is actually a good idea. LOL!
    I hope you feel better soon, but I think yo may want to have your levels checked out.

4. Johnzelle says:

Thank you for sharing! Keep us posted about what you find out about the tremors. I was about to recommend self care with regards to feeling unproductive then I read on and learned that I need to add woodpecker stalking to my repertoire. My week is going well. Office mate continues to be petty but I’m taking the high road. Signed up to work for Better Help to provide therapy online as I continue to grow my practice. Have heard mixed reviews about it, but we’ll see.

Hope the Better Help works out well!
      Unfortunately the tremor is one of the lithium side effects I just to live with, but the intensity fluctuates depending on what else is going on.
      I highly recommend bird stalking, wordpecker or otherwise, and hey, it’s not like they’re going to complain 😉

5. Keto For Beginners says:

If you haven’t tried hemp-based CBD, I really recommend it for your anxiety, it may also help your tremors in the process. I just had my Dad get some for him, working on getting the titration right now. Speaking of massages, mine is scheduled for May 10th and I can’t wait! 🙂
    Happy Easter!

6. nicolesjourney says:

I hope you feel better soon lovely, I still find myself filled with questions when Anxiety can turns up at even the most unpredictable of times, sometimes I have no idea why and sometimes there are multiple reasons, it can get me in quite the confusion. Also, definitely not alone with the emoji thing.. hehe sending love xx

7. Barb says:

Great article! I feel that most people would have the ability to understand it—no obscure medical terms! The video was completely accurate in what you describe and mirrors my own experience with ECT. I especially like the section on stigma.

8. Audrey says:

Thank you for your honesty! For me, this week has been a few anxious meltdowns and a struggle concentrating on necessary tasks. Do you ever have something you NEED to do (like homework with a deadline…), but instead of being productive on the NECESSARY agenda, you get fun stuff done on your project agenda? That’s me this week for sure!

Happy Easter!

9. eirlysgwenllian says:

Congrats about your another article being published! 🙂 Physical anxiety sucks, I mean what kind of anxiety doesn’t, but it’s indeed problematic about the only physical anxiety that you don’t know what’s up other than you feel anxious, so you can’t beat it, quite frustrating. But I hope it will get better soon for you.

10. Invisibly Me says:

I’m sorry your anxiety is sky-high lately, too, I can imagine that making the tremors worse or at best just harder to mask. I hope you’re able to take some time this Easter weekend to breathe and relax a little, give your brain a break  ♥
    xx