From what I understand, the goal of mass spam comments is to get people to click on their links. The comments are written to try to convince spam detectors that they’re legit comments rather than spam. Wordpress uses Akismet as a spam filter. If you haven’t stumbled across your comment spam inbox yet, go to “My Site” in WordPress and then click on “Comments” in the “Manage” section. There will be a menu bar near the top of the screen that lets you looks at all, pending, approved, spam, and trash. You can read more in my post on Managing Blog Spam
In the early part of last year I found that a fair number of legit comments were getting marked as spam, but this has greatly improved over the last couple months. The real spam comments seem to come and go in waves, and the content is variable. Sometimes they’re clearly advertisements, sometimes they’re written like generic but legit comments, and other times they’re just plain bizarre. I check my comment spam inbox somewhat regularly just in case some legit comments are getting captured, and it can be pretty amusing to read some of the spam.
Here are a few that caught my eye recently.
- “A defence waving through Bayern Munichs players to score in the manner of Toytown traffic policemen.”
- “Martial dinks a teasing cross from the left which Zlatan rises to meet with a firm flick of his man bun.” I’m curious what would be involved in flicking one’s man bun… then again, maybe I’m better off not knowing.
- “The results fuck established that majuscule product of Group who fighting with a practice Soup-strainer see it nasty to systematically Copse victimisation capable framework when compared to galvanic Toothbrushes.”
- A comment about becoming an adult webcam model suggests: “Bright colors such as red, orange, blue, green and pink attract more customers, so you should also be matching the colors of your sheets/curtains with your clothing.”
- “Right hole maintenance at the rectify experience provides us the opulence of imagination for a someone period.”
- “I unremarkably reefer with my decision, but prepare digit fruit or sagaciousness disclose for the fallout of the nipper heading.”
- “As semipermanent as we mollify our sprightliness for the older with recent knowledge, so our approval of Afrasian wellness habits power not be a sad attribute.”
- “The recent government also gave a priority to public fettle and to issues of ?inequalities? in well-being and happiness and ?social bar?. Thus, more chlorine needs to infected birds, or droppings from infected birds.”
- “So the adjacent period you experience tempted to vex that brobdingnagian gluey donut, recall almost the impression it mightiness deliver on your mind also as your embody! If you undergo you are honk much than you would ilk to be, luckily, you pot know stairs to act boosting your vector system.”
- “yay google is my king assisted me to find this outstanding website !”
- “I think that your web blog is rattling interesting and holds circles of great info.” I can’t be sure if the “rattling” here is nonsense or some random British slang word… it can be hard to tell sometimes.
Are there any particular comment spam gems you’ve gotten on your blog?
The New Blogger’s Guide to WordPress page includes tips on topics like blogging etiquette, making the most of your WP experience, and using the block editor.
The Up Your Blogging Game page covers a variety of blogging topics, including using images and implementing SEO strategies.