#BellLetsTalk – What if the elephant in the room could speak?

Today is Bell Let’s Talk Day, an anti-stigma mental health awareness campaign sponsored by the Canadian telecom company Bell.  Similar to the UK organization Time to Change’s Time To Talk Day coming up on February 7, the goal is to get people talking about mental health and mental illness.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the book The Stigma Effect and what it had to say about the types of anti-stigma effects that are effective as well as those that are ineffective.  It’s main point was that actual contact with people who have mental illness is by far the most effective strategy, and education/awareness campaigns don’t accomplish a lot, and in some cases they may even be counterproductive.

There are a lot of great organizations out there that are committed to fighting stigma: Time To Change, Sick Not Weak, Stigma Fighters, and the list goes on and on.  These organizations certainly accomplish a lot within the mental health community by getting dialogue going and giving people opportunities to share their stories with others.  I wonder, though, if they are mostly preaching to the choir, or if the message truly getting out.  It probably doesn’t help that pretty much any health condition has a day, a week, or a month, making it hard to stand out in the field.

Even when people do choose to engage in one-off awareness days, how much of an impact is it actually having?  Sure, people can feel good about tweeting something in support, but does that necessarily correspond to changes in attitudes or behaviours?  It’s easy for someone to tweet that people should talk about mental illness, but unless that changes how they respond a friend disclosing their illness, it hasn’t done a whole lot of good.  The Stigma Effect referred to this phenomenon as slacktivism – token support that’s not associated with any real behavioural change.

Far too often, mental illness is the elephant in the room; even when it’s clearly there, people are reluctant to acknowledge its existence, much less talk about it.  Still, talking about mental illness in the abstract on an awareness day is not necessarily going to do anything about said elephant.

Stigma isn’t necessarily due to a lack of awareness or knowledge, in which case awareness-focused campaigns aren’t hitting the target.  I work in mental health, and that did nothing to stop the stigma I experienced from the managers who thought I was unpredictable and potentially dangerous.  They knew quite a bit about mental illness, and they were used to seeing it – except among patients, not staff.  For me as a nurse to have a mental illness, and heaven forbid to speak up about it, went entirely against expected norms.

It would be easy to use that to say people should keep quiet in the workplace about mental illness.  Yet stigma is fuelled by silence.  It exists when there is a line drawn between “us” and “them”, when the “other” is minimized and dehumanized.  To counter those kinds of attitudes, we need to be loud rather than quiet, and show that there really is no “them” because mental illness truly can happen to any of us.

Research shows that the best way to combat stigma is for people to actually have contact with individuals living with mental illness.  There’s no shortage of us out there with mental illness, but people within our community need to feel empowered to speak up and disclose their illnesses.  Of course, fear of stigma can make that very difficult.

And maybe that’s  where the anti-stigma campaigns come in.  Maybe it’s less important the effect they have on society on a broader scale, and more important that they give us the confidence to identify ourselves as people with mental illness and tell our stories.  If someone shares a story on the Time To Change website, perhaps most of the people reading that story will also have a mental illness.  Yet if that person then finds the courage to talk to their family, friends, and coworkers about their illness, that will bring all of those people a step closer to realizing that there is no “us” and “them” when it comes to mental illness.  That counts for a whole lot more than a token supportive tweet on Time to Talk day.

So, if the elephant in the room could speak, it would be a chorus of all of us with mental illness raising our voices and saying we are here, we live with mental illness, and we’re not going anywhere.  Stigma thrives in silence, so we need to roar, and that’s why I speak up on this Bell Let’s Talk Day.

30 thoughts on “#BellLetsTalk – What if the elephant in the room could speak?

1. Sara Hoffman says:

Fabulous information! I have been on both sides of mental illness: as a patient who suffers from CPTSD, and as a DSP for a very troubled girl who was placed in a public home for those with Intelligence Impairment. I was told she was banned from her school, after pushing a girl out the third story, glass window. I didn’t have the training to be in her house, but as God would have it, I was there for months. I remember the day I tiptoed into her bedroom, and introduced myself. Everyone was terrified of her, and I was uneasy as well. The face of an angel looked up at me, and I sat on the bed and softly caressed her hair-whispering soothing words. It wasn’t until two days later that I realized her insanely rich parents had put her in a home because she was bipolar. I miss that angel, to this day~

2. Mike says:

This is a wonderful way to reach many people and I love that Bell is doing this campaign. I just posted a short blog post about this also because I believe the more people that become aware the better off we all will be. Mental health is something that we are all touched by. Thank you for helping spread the word as well! ❤️

Great blog post!!

I’ve gotten so that I’ll tell just about anyone that I’m schizophrenic, and I don’t do it for pity, nor for attention. In my mind, I’m thinking, “This is who I am, and I hope I represent the illness well, and the only way to break the stigma is for me to just tell people and let them do what they will with my info.”

I’m kind of casual, like, “I’m schizophrenic, and it’s fun! I take five medications daily. One is an alertness aid, because I sleep all the time,” or whatever.

There have been times that the other person becomes much more distant after this conversation. While that makes me sad, and I have to accept that the friendship probably died, I never feel as if I did anything wrong. More like, it’s who I am, and they’d only know “outer” me if I hid all my issues.

Sometimes, people feel comfortable sharing something back, which is great. Other times, people will be like, “Oh, your problems aren’t that serious. You just think they are.” (That doesn’t offend me, but it does kind of make me roll my eyes. I think it’s actually meant as a compliment, so I try to take it as one.) Some people are like, “You should go off your meds and try meditation.” [Snort.] Other people are like, “Oh… I see. Um, I have to get going. I’ll talk to you later!”

I have no idea. One time, I was talking to a nice woman at the ice skating rink. Mental illness didn’t come up, but we were having such a nice talk about her reading material that when I left, I wrote down my email address and handed it to her. She looked terrified. Geez, excuse me for trying to be friendly and make new friends. Not a good day at the rink. I’m not sure what the point of that was. Oh, yeah. You can only hope people will accept you, I guess!! But yes, we must speak up and fight the stigma!!

• Meg says:

I agree. Maybe we should take fighting the stigma to a new level and try to educate people about what happens when you rely upon meditating for mental health. It frustrates me with the level of ignorance involved. And the ignorance is combined with a bit of hubris, like, “Oh, well, if you were to just try a little harder, you wouldn’t need medicinal help.” Uhuh. [Eyeroll.]

• DV says:

FFS, meditation possibly has a place in some people’s self care, but it can have horrific side effects, especially if you already have psychotic symptoms. If you want to hear a crazy woman ranting, just start a conversation with me about how awesome and harmless meditation is. I’ve never bawled my eyes out all day, thrown up all night and had to take time off work for drug side effects – meditation on the other hand …

4. Samantha says:

I love this post, Ashley! You did such a wonderful job. My last job outside out writing was in a residential group home as what would be considered an assistant manager. I took care of individuals with specials needs who also had various mental disorders. You would think that managers and employees would be more understanding of mental health working in that field.

I will never forget the day I had a full blown panic attack at work. I will never forget how they treated me afterward. My one boss acted as if I had some contagious disease and not a mental health disorder. They treated me like I was no longer human. It is one of the worst feelings.

There were many other issues I ran into while working there once it was out that I was bipolar. People treated me like I was dangerous (as you had mentioned), incompetent, and like I was, in general, just this bad person. I quit that company after having a mental break down and the first thing my boss did, was informed others of this. It was just horrible.

It is great that Bell is doing this! I wonder if they have a day like this in the US that I may not be aware of or that has slipped my mind. Ashley, would it be okay to reblog this on My Bipolar Mind? After I started my blog and become open about my own mental health, it was like this weight was lifted off my shoulders. I no longer felt the need to sit in silence.

Sure you can reblog 🙂
      I haven’t heard of anything like this in the US. NAMI’s got an awareness day, but I don’t know how much is actually done for that.
      I find it so disturbing that employers who should know better treat us like we’re total nutbars. No wonder there’s stigma in the general population.

5. dianamuzina says:

Have you seen the arguments surrounding Ban.do’s line of mental health necklaces. There was a lot of backlash from people saying that they were romanticizing mental illness, and I saw one tweet where someone said that people shouldn’t wear them and be “proud” about their mental illness because they have a problem. I really disagreed with it all. As someone who struggles with multiple forms of mental illness, I actually am looking into purchasing one. I think its important for people to understand that the image that they have of depression, or anxiety isn’t always accurate. I can be high-functioning, and an effective employee and friend, despite having the diagnoses that I have. In addition, they are a part of who I am, and I feel that if I did not talk about those experiences, I wouldn’t be true to myself.

6. brendablagdon says:

I think this is a great initiative and I hope it helps. But I think that before we can teach others about mental illness we have to feel comfortable about it ourselves. Two of my young friends today posted about their depression on Facebook. I was so proud of them. I have recently started a blog on depression and although I wanted to make my Facebook and Twitter friends aware of my new venture, the day is almost over and my blog can still be found only by WordPress bloggers who happen to chance upon it. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will find the courage to share it with my friends.

7. Invisibly Me says:

“For me as a nurse to have a mental illness, and heaven forbid to speak up about it, went entirely against expected norms.” You’re right, it’s norms and expectations and long-held beliefs along with silence that fuel the judgements and stigma. I’m all for these ‘Let’s Talk’ initiatives to break some barriers, show people they’re not alone. But you’re right, there needs to be action. Silence is a breeding ground and no change will happen there. I’ll be rooooaaaring right along with you! Brilliant post =]
    Caz xx