Self-care is about taking time to do things to take care of ourselves. Sometimes self-care is a more active practice, but it’s also good to fit in some pure relaxation, and just be. Here are some of the things I like to do to relax:
- Massage: my massage therapist uses a weighted blanket sometimes, which is also very relaxing
- Aromatherapy: lavender is one of my favourite calming scents
- Tea: it’s nice to curl up with a good book, a blanket, and a cup of tea on a cool fall day
- Bubble bath: unfortunately this hasn’t happened for me for a while because my guinea pig boy has taken over that corner of the bathroom
- Snuggles with the guinea pigs
- Napping: I seldom get much sleep when I lie down for a nap, but if I can I like to take 30-60 minutes out of my afternoon to lie in bed and just go blank
- Baking cookies: I need the motivation to actually get started on this, but once I’m at it I shift into domestic peace mode
- Reading my favourite books I’ve read a million times, or watching the movies I’ve seen a million times
- The sound of water: things like fountains, streams, and the ocean, preferably in person but also from a digital source
What are some of your favourite ways to relax?
Visit the Mental Health @ Home Store to find my books Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple, a mini-ebook collection focused on therapy, and plenty of free downloadable resources.