Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• It hasn’t been the greatest week.  People hurt, and yes I know it’s avoidant, but I think I’d prefer the only meaningful relationships in my life to be with guinea pigs.  I do need to recognize, though, that typically this is a hard time of year for me for whatever reason, so this is probably just part of my abnormal normal.
  • I did some training for the new job I’m starting.  I’m feeling a bit nervous-ish about it.  The part dealing with patients will be fine, but there will just be new paperwork and workflow stuff to have to wrap my head around.  At my job that’s drawing to a close I’m a casual employee, but the new “job” isn’t actually a job – I’ll be an “independent contractor”.  That has implications for income tax and such things that I’ll have to figure out.  I tried reading about it on the Revenue Canada website but my depression jello brain was just having none of it.
  • I made it to yoga twice this week.
  • I’ve been trying to watch funny videos to cope with low mood.  Got some nice distraction value from Airplane (and don’t call me Shirley!).
  • Despite feeling unfocused, I had some spurts of greater coherence and managed to get some writing done.
  • I saw a teenage kid in the grocery wearing a not very attractive Balenciaga jean jacket.  I looked it up online, and it costs $1700.  So yeah, I’m judging, because a) the uneven distribution of wealth in the world disturbs me, and b) what the hell is wrong with the parents that they are teaching their kid that this sort of overconsumption is a good thing.

How has your week been?

Visit the Mental Health @ Home Store for premium mental health resources, guided journals, how-to guides, and my books Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple.

Image credit: Rawpixel on Pixabay

23 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. Nat says:

I can’t imagine ever wearing a clothing piece that expensive. I mean, more power to actual wealthy people who spend extravagantly and can truly afford to maintain such a lifestyle, but otherwise it just seems like a waste of money that could be used for a better purpose.

They make jackets like that?! You’ve got to be kidding. I spent less on my table saw, Blades of Glory, and I’ve already remodeled a lot of the house with it, so it’s paid for itself.

My week has been bad. Mother is still back in the hospital, and apparently she can’t see. Her last seizure did something there. She doesn’t know she can’t see, or she hasn’t mentioned it, but everyone can tell. It makes me want to only hang out with guinea pigs too. 🙁 I hope you and I feel happier soon!!

3. lavenderandlevity says:

The big thing to know in the U.S. – not sure about Canada – is that there is no withholding on independent contractor income. You have to work out you estimated yearly income, appropriate tax bracket, and put aside enough money to pay what normally your employer just withholds come tax time. Places like H&R Block can help fill out the right form, but basically in the U.S. you just do one extra short and get a 1099 instead of a W2 for that job. Hopefully Canada has something similar, but if not maybe that info will help out some U.S. reader who needs it.

4. KD says:

Yay for making it to yoga and for watching funny movies to help with mood, those are great decisions. I’ve been struggling with low mood off and on this week, too. I managed to get to yoga today. But yesterday I slept all day. Not so good for mood. Here is to hoping we have good weeks next week

5. The Depression Sessions says:

If you want to blow your mind at clothing prices, go to the Nordstroms website and sort different clothing categories from high to low. My friend and I discussed fashion for almost an hour because of the styles of shirts that were $2,900. It’s a good distraction for a little while.

Is there something in particular that triggers your mood this time of year?
    “Airplane” is one of those movies that you can watch over and over again, and crack up laughing as if you were watching it for the first time. https://youtu.be/l2iIq3zaP6k?t=12
    As far as learning a new position, I’m pretty damn sure you will pick up on it with no problem at all. You’re a pretty smart cookie if you ask me. However, I know that when I’m in a depressive state of mind, my comprehension is not at its sharpest. It takes me quite a while to re-read things over and over again.
    Again… You’re a smart cookie, I don’t think you will have a difficult time learning anything you put your mind too. 🙂

7. Karen says:

Holy cow! I hadn’t heard of that brand (bali-whatever) so looked it up. 1- their website is rubbish, 2- extortionately expensive, 3- you know that pre-school card game where you have to match the head, body and legs of the same character? Well, their images look like someone has mis-matched the cards!