Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• Self care this week included a yoga class and a massage.
  • I was struggling again this week, and there was more boozy non-coping than there should have been.  However, by the end of the week  I’ve been able to get in touch with wise mind a bit more.
  • I worked 3 night shifts at one job and just had one client to see for my other job.  One of my jobs I only work nights because I can’t tolerate the BS during the day, and every so often I get subtle yet clear indicators from management that they don’t think I’m very competent.  I think the same about them, so their opinion really isn’t that important to me, but it would be nice if they could restrict it to inside-the-head voice.  I cringed at an email the program director sent to the team yesterday; she wrote “too much compassion is paternalistic”.  Wow, I wonder what the Dalai Lama would think of that load of crap.
  • The client who had OD’d on fentanyl on my shift several weeks ago managed to do a fatal OD this week.  The only emotion that stirred up in me was envy.  I suppose that’s a bad thing, but it is what it is.
  • The weather has been yucky hot this week and it’s made me feel sluggish and gross.
  • I’m reminded how hard interpersonal relationships are.  But I took Brene Brown‘s advice and dared to be vulnerable, and ended up having a really good conversation with a friend about some things that have been bugging me lately.
  • I called my Grandma to let her know I’ll be coming for a visit in a couple of weeks.  She’s struggling with her health, and I’m so annoyed that my mom isn’t doing anything to support her.

How has your week been?

Image credit: Rawpixel on Pixabay

26 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. howikilledbetty says:

Sounds like you have a lot of stuff going on and mine is all so self indulgent so I won’t bore you, but suffice to say, sending you hugs and hoping that you’re having a restful day tomorrow to start afresh next week. Hugs Katie x

Liked by 2 people

Wow, you have a lot going on!! Your management makes me angry! I’ve had jobs where I had that same sense of being a weak employee, and it makes me angry in retrospect. All these employers who expect some level of inhuman perfection are horrid people. I wish you didn’t have to work for such control freaks.

I’m glad you had a nice talk with your friend and that you’re seeing Grandma in a few weeks! I’m glad you and Grandma have each other! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

It might at least make a bit more sense if management expected perfection, but they seem to have a strong preference for people with limited competence who will just do exactly what they’re told. Barf.

3. nourishingchlo says:

It sounds like you have had a really difficult week. I hope you have managed to fit some necessary self-compassion and goodness into your weekend that will help you bring about much more positive feelings. You deserve to be well looked after and I hope you can always remember that. x

4. easetheride says:

I always admire your honesty. So sorry it hasn’t been the best week. You are doing fabulously at coping your way through, whether by caring for yourself (how was the massage?) or others. How lucky your grandma is you will be coming by. Props on the vulnerability too, that always feels like a risk and reaping the benefits is certainly motivating.

5. scarlettcat says:

My week so far has been quiet. I talked to my psychiatrist today and it went well. Tomorrow is going to be unusually hot and I have a hairdresser’s appointment (boo). I hope you are having a good week.