Recovery means different things for different people. Here’s what my recovery from depression would look like:
- the ability to feel joy/pleasure
- a sense of purpose and meaning
- feeling strong
- having a sense of control over my life
- being able to smile and laugh, and mean it
- looking forward to things
- being able to generate emotional responses to events in a way that is consistent with my values
- feeling open to new things
- being able to look to the past or the future without being overwhelmed by pain
What are the essential elements of what recovery would look like for you?
You can read about Finding Recovery in Spite of Mental Illness
Visit the Mental Health @ Home Store to find my books Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis and Psych Meds Made Simple, a mini-ebook collection focused on therapy, and plenty of free downloadable resources.