Recovery means different things for different people. Here’s what my recovery from depression would look like:
- the ability to feel joy/pleasure
- a sense of purpose and meaning
- feeling strong
- having a sense of control over my life
- being able to smile and laugh, and mean it
- looking forward to things
- being able to generate emotional responses to events in a way that is consistent with my values
- feeling open to new things
- being able to look to the past or the future without being overwhelmed by pain
The Moving Target of Recovery reflects on how my idea of recovery has changed 2 years after this post was written.
What are the essential elements of what recovery would look like for you?
You can read about Finding Recovery in Spite of Mental Illness