Sadly, we hear all too often of people who have lost their lives to suicide. Many among us in the mental health blogging community have either attempted suicide or had thoughts of doing so. There are suicide crisis resources available to support us; it’s just a matter of knowing what they are and being willing to reach out. Here are some of the many resources that are out there.
- The International Association for Suicide Prevention has listings of crisis centres organized by continent and other resources worldwide.
- Wikipedia has a list of suicide crisis lines for 48 different countries
- Suicide.org has a list of local crisis lines for multiple different countries
- Beyond Blue Support Service: 1300 22 4636
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
- Lifeline Australia: call 13 11 14, also has online chat
- MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- The Samaritans: call 135 247
- Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention: has listings for local crisis centres across the country.
- Crisis Services Canada: a Canada-wide crisis line number at 1-833-456-4566, text to 45645, or online chat.
- Crisis Text Line: powered by Kids Help Phone – text HOME to 686868
- The Lifeline app includes information about crisis lines and other resources, as well as self-management tools
- CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably): webchat for men
- Shout crisis text line: text Shout to 85258
- Papyrus HopeLineUK for adults under 35, call 0800 068 41 41 or text 07786209697
- Premier Lifeline: Christian faith-oriented crisis line, call 0300 111 0101
- Samaritans crisis line 116 123
- The Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and Lifeline Crisis Chat online crisis chat (a partnership with Contact USA)
- I’m Alive online chat support
- Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741
- Suicide.org has listings of local crisis lines by state
- The Trevor Project: Lifeline, online chat, and text to support LGBTQ youth
Safety planning apps
Note: these URLs are subject to change without notice, and the links are provided for convenience only
There’s a list of other posts on suicide in the Blog Index.