Crisis resources for suicide prevention

Sadly, we hear all too often of people who have lost their lives to suicide.  Many among us in the mental health blogging community have either attempted suicide or had thoughts of doing so.  There are suicide crisis resources available to support us; it’s just a matter of knowing what they are and being willing to reach out (I must admit that’s something I’ve been reluctant to do in the past, and I’ll talk more about this in tomorrow’s post).  Here are some of the many resources that are out there.

International:

Australia

Canada

UK:

• Samaritans crisis line 116 123
  • CALM webchat for men
  • Papyrus HopeLineUK for adults under 35, call 0800 068 41 41 or text 07786209697

USA:

Safety planning apps

Note: these URLs are subject to change without notice, and the links are provided for convenience only

Safety Plan for Suicide Prevention from Mental Health @ Home Store

The Mental Health @ Home Store has a FREE safety plan for suicide prevention.

37 thoughts on “Crisis resources for suicide prevention

This is so useful. I had no idea there were online chats, which is the sort of thing that’d be right up my alley. So great to know! Wow, thanks!!

I’ve seen a lot of ads lately for online counseling. Must be the wave of the future!

2. wellcolourmeyellow says:

the fact that you added apps is really brilliant. People need to be shown that there will always be help out there, and it’s great that you’re showing them. You’re doing great x

3. 2angelsinmo says:

Ty, I am so glad that you posted the chats links and apps for people to download! I believe in what you are doing here!

4. suninthespring says:

Thank you! Normally when I’m suicidal, I text my therapist and ask if I can call her. She generally gets back to me pretty quickly. If she doesn’t, though, I’ll look at my coping lists again and see if there’s anything I can do, especially getting out of my room and texting or seeing friends.
    I have other phone numbers in my contacts on my phone and written on sticky notes around my room. There’s Samaritans in the USA, too, in certain areas: http://www.samaritansusa.org/contact.php. My school also has some emergency numbers to call (when school is in session).
    I’ve used the Safety Plan app. I also have the Virtual Hope Box app and the What’s Up app (not WhatsApp!). I generally don’t think to use these things when I’m in a crisis, though.
    I also like 7cups.com. You can’t use it if you’re actively suicidal, but it’s super helpful at other times.

5. wraemsanders says:

Reblogged this on One Blog, One Day at a Time and commented:
    This is a list of important lifelines that can be used by anyone that needs it. If you are concerned about someone, these phone numbers and sites can be helpful. If you are the one that needs help, know that there is someone out there to assist you.

6. tigerchelle78 says:

Being borderline I’m often suicidal, but I have a support network in place which is a must for me