Weekend wrap-up

wrapping paper, ribbon, and twine

Here’s what happened in my life over the past week:

• I’ve been coughing up a lung all week trying to get rid of thick phlegm left over from my respiratory tract infection last week.  I’m very much ready for this to be over and done with.
  • I made some changes with my internet and tv service about six weeks ago, and my service provider has screwed it up at every possible step along thr way.  I was talking to them yet again via internet chat this week, which resulted in me crying and terminating the chat session.  I hate that it’s so hard for me to deal with things that are annoying but in the grand scheme of things pretty inconsequential.
  • I was able to get more reading done than the goal I’d set for myself for the week.
  • I had a massage and went to yoga once.  I’ve also decided to have a splurge week of eating simple but yummy foods, like baguette and brie for lunch.
  • I’ve found myself jumping to illogical conclusions more than usual this week, but at least I’m not clinging on to them too tightly and after a bit of thought I can recognize that these ideas aren’t reasonable.
  • it’s been 4 weeks since I planted my little herb garden on my balcony, and there’s been no sprouting action going on yet.  I have no idea if this is normal or just my usual plant-killing self at work.
  • I didn’t work a lot this week, but what I did went reasonably smoothly.
  • I’ve had a bit of a blogging existential crisis.  I’m not sure exactly what started it, but there were a couple of things I can think of that certainly didn’t help.  I think in my head I started to stray a bit from my purpose and how I want to approach blogging, which triggered some insecurity and all that jazz.  I’ve identified a few ways that could help me refocus, and that seems to be working well.
  • It’s interesting how hearing particular words can be a good thing most of the time, but a not good thing depending on the person or situation.  I won’t go into detail, but I’m feeling disappointed.

How has your week been?

Image credit: Rawpixel on Pixabay

26 thoughts on “Weekend wrap-up

1. Karen says:

I’m by no means an expert gardener but I think herb seeds need warmth to germinate, you could try covering the pots with cling film (not sure if it’s the same name for you) as that encourages warmth.
    I totally get your frustration at not being able to deal with the internet company, I’m completely overwhelmed by things like that.
    Hope next week will be generally more positive, and that you feel better.
    ps your last bullet is very mysterious!

2. eirlysgwenllian says:

Internet and TV services are often very hard to communicate with effectively, at least in my experience, and it can make contact with them incredibly annoying. It also pisses me off about myself that such little, just annoying things can be often so hard to deal. Well done with reading. 🙂 Baguette and brie, that sounds really nice and yummy. Blogging crises, ugh… been there recently.

I haven’t read your whole post yet, but I’m already itching to comment… please don’t beat yourself up for ending the chat talk with the customer service people for your media providers!! That can be pure hell, and getting the run-around or otherwise poor service can push any of us over the brink. It’s horrible, but not something to blame yourself for.

With the illogical conclusions, do you have a way to ask people when you’re feeling it? “I don’t want to sound completely neurotic, which I am, but I haven’t gotten a response from my email yet. What’s up?” I do this all the time, but it does have a downside–I’m left feeling vulnerable by having let the other person know how weak I’m feeling about myself. I mean, generally I get positive responses which put my mind at ease. “Oh, sorry, I was about to get back to you. Here’s my response:…” But it does leave me with a sense of vulnerability, ya know? However, it’s still worth considering. One benefit is that if you spend years and years doing it, you start to see the patterns that underlie it (others’ reactions or non-reactions) and that sort of thing.

An existential blogging crisis? Holy crap, that sounds bad. I’m always here if you want to talk about it! I’ve been having an existential crisis too. One of my best friends dumped me over a bizarre argument for which I tried to apologize and own my part in. It left me feeling like, “What the heck?! We were friends for years, and what just happened?” But it’s okay to take your blog in a different direction. My blog is unfocused as heck–sometimes I’m criticizing Annie Lane, other times I’m criticizing the letter writer, other times I’m sharing my own experiences on the topic given, etc.

I’ve had a horrible week. Horrible.

Liked by 2 people

Good point about the illogical conclusions. I try to give it a little bit of time to see if my mind can manage to auto-correct, and if that doesn’t work then I go ahead and ask.
      Existential crisis might have been a little too strong a term; dissonance might have been more accurate. I was noticing my followers were going up but most of them weren’t actually engaging in my blog, and wondering what I was doing wrong. Then I realized that all those random people don’t matter, I unfollowed a bunch of blogs that I wasn’t actually engaging with, and I’m feeling better about things. That is so weird about the argument with your friend. Like WTF?
      I’m sorry your week has been so bad. Hopefully next one is better.

4. Michele Elkins-Hoffman says:

I agree, it has been corrected, but I had a hellish week with my WordPress account. I don’t know what went wrong, exactly-but I was in tears over two days! I absolutely adore your idea to treat yourself to a week of yummies 🙂 Why do we punish ourselves by imposing ridiculously cruel rules and regulations? Is it our self esteem? I have recently undergone some personal tragedy, and the storm woke me right up, at least momentarily. I’m wearing the clothes I used to “save for a special occasion,” cranking up the radio while driving (I wouldn’t allow myself turn the radio ON for years) and eat whatever I WANT for dessert, two days a week. We should be our own best friend, not enemy. HUGS.

Liked by 2 people

I certainly hope you feel better soon, and the coughing ceases altogether. It’s good to get outside and work on gardening, especially herbs. I love the different scents they have, especially basil.
    I read your last part about being disappointed in what you have read, but not getting into it. I’m guilty of writing off the cheek so to speak from the anger I have had throughout the week, and it definitely showed in my writing. However, once I got it out of my system, I felt somewhat better that I vented it out in my poetry.
    Again… I hope you feel better real soon, Ashley. 🙂