I’ve read before that mental illness should be viewed as a gift, and while that struck me is a big fat load of BS, it did prompt me to give some thought to things that I have gained from my illness:
- greater empathy and compassion
- greater understanding of mental illness
- makes me a better nurse
- has helped me to be less judgmental
- has made me more open-minded and accepting
- has given me a greater appreciation of wellness, happiness, and hope
- it inspired my masters thesis and several published academic papers
- it has put me in a better position to challenge stigma
- it has allowed me to access a sense of community and belonging among mental health bloggers
- it has pushed me to take a closer look at my thoughts and emotions
- it has made me take a more holistic view of managing health problems in general
What have you gained from your mental/physical health challenges?
The Reflecting on Powerful Words guided journal matches amazing quotes from people like Maya Angelou and Winston Churchill with prompt questions that relate to each quote as well as beautiful images. It’s available free on the MH@H Store.