I’ve read before that mental illness should be viewed as a gift, and while that struck me is a big fat load of BS, it did prompt me to give some thought to things that I have gained from my illness:
- greater empathy and compassion
- greater understanding of mental illness
- makes me a better nurse
- has helped me to be less judgmental
- has made me more open-minded and accepting
- has given me a greater appreciation of wellness, happiness, and hope
- it inspired my masters thesis and several published academic papers
- it has put me in a better position to challenge stigma
- it has allowed me to access a sense of community and belonging among mental health bloggers
- it has pushed me to take a closer look at my thoughts and emotions
- it has made me take a more holistic view of managing health problems in general
What have you gained from your mental/physical health challenges?
This how-to guide on creating a bullet journal to support mental health is available free from the MH@H Store. My approach isn’t about artistry; it’s all about functionality.