I swear, it’s raining sunshine! I’m so excited to be recognized by fellow bloggers Sibple: My not so simple bipolar life, Orange Walls, Midsummer Daydreamer, Blooming Bipolar, Blue Sky Days 365, Imayormaynotkillmyself, and MentallyNotReyt, who’ve nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. If you aren’t familiar with these blogs yet, please check them out, because they’re awesome 🙂
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you in the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger(s) asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award Logo in your post and/or on your blog.
Questions from Sibple:
- Do you write anywhere else besides your blog? (other blogs, websites, journal, etc.) Before I started blogging I had some work published in a few nursing and mental health journals. Now I mostly write on my blog, with the occasional guest post on another site.
- Where is your favorite place to write? (your desk, outside, etc.) Sitting on my bed.
- Do you share your blog with friends and family or do you remain anonymous? I’ve told people that I blog but haven’t shared my blog name/site with them.
- What other topics have you considered writing about? I feel like all the important stuff I have to say is somehow connected to the topic of mental health.
- If you could be granted a new talent, what talent would you like to have? I would like to be good at job interviews.
- When the mood strikes…is it to sing or to dance? Dance
- What song(s) can affect your mood in a positive way? Fun favorites from the 80’s, like New Kids on the Block.
- What is your ideal vacation spot? Somewhere off in a foreign country where everything (culture, landscape, etc) is totally different from home.
- What bad habit do you have that you wish you could break? The skin on my hands can get scaly from eczema, and I pick at it. It’s really quite gross, but that hasn’t stopped me yet.
- Where is the first place you would go or travel to if you won the lottery? Tibet.
- What household chore do you hate the most? Taking out the garbage.
Questions from Orange Walls:
- What/who inspires you to blog? My own experiences as well as what other bloggers have to say.
- What are your favourite self-care tips and tricks? Aromatherapy is a fave. And time with my guinea pigs.
- Where do you see your blog in 5 years? Hopefully still going!
- What is the hardest part of your illness(es)? This is a tough one. I’d say that while there were various symptoms that felt really tough at the time, probably the biggest thing is the extent of its effect on many different aspects of my life.
- What thing(s) can you celebrate about yourself? I make learning a priority in my life.
- Do you have any hobbies? If not, what hobbies can you see yourself doing and why? Blogging and guinea pig mothering.
- Where do you blog/write (i.e at a desk, in the kitchen…) and why? Sitting on my bed because it’s comfy and I have the guinea pigs nearby.
- What kinds of tips can you give to someone who has recently been diagnosed? Be open to learning from as many different sources as you can find. No one’s illness is going to be exactly like yours, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn valuable things from them.
- What is your favourite season and why? Early fall, because I like the warm golden sunlight and the leaves changing colors.
- What keeps you blogging when barriers exist? The WordPress community. This is an amazing group of people we’ve got here.
- If you have 1 thing to say to your readers to inspire them, what would it be? Find your passion and follow it wherever it will take you.
Questions from Midsummer Daydreamer:
- What fictional place would you most like to go? The world of My Little Ponies 🙂
- What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue? I would travel more and fly first class.
- What job would you be terrible at? Probably a lot of them, but I’ll go with telemarketing, because I hate talking on the phone and I’d hate feeling like I was bugging people.
- Are you usually early or late? It stresses me out to be late, so I’m always early.
- When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with? School/course-related stuff.
- What are some small things that make your day better? Five small things: my pet guinea pigs!
- What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home? I’ve gone pretty far afield, maybe the farthest being India or Tanzania.
- What is something that a ton of people are obsessed with, but you just don’t get the point of? Various social media. A lot of that stuff I don’t even know what it is.
- What would you rate 10/10? The movie Dirty Dancing
- What fad or trend do you hope comes back? Hmmm… There was a lot of pretty fun stuff in the ’80s, but it’s probably best that it stay there. I loooooved my acid wash jeans wish slouch socks and bright blue Converse high tops, but somehow I don’t think it would translate that well in the present day.
- Where is the most relaxing place you’ve ever been? Various beaches, but also Luang Prabang in Laos – even the souvenir sellers would be sprawled out napping in the middle of the day.
Questions from Blooming Bipolar:
- What is your favorite book? Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
- Do you have a pet, what do you have? 5 guinea pigs!
- What is your ideal vacation spot? I’ve answered this one above
- What’s your favorite meal? Cheeseburgers 🙂
- Which TV character do you identify with the most? Not sure, but some similarities with Monica on Friends.
- What did you want to be when you were a child? A cardiologist
- Who would you love to see in concert? I’m actually not all that keen on concerts.
- How long have you been blogging? 6 months
- Which time period would you love to live in? If we’re talking recent past, I’d say the 80’s. Going further back, I’d say the Jane Austen era.
- Which movie can you watch over and over again? Dirty Dancing and Top Gun.
- What do you do for self-care? I love afternoon naps. I don’t usually sleep, but I love to just lie there and turn my brain off for a while.
Questions from Blue Sky Days 365:
- What is your favourite time of day, and why? I’m an early riser, and I like being awake while the rest of the world around me is still sleeping.
- Which country have you visited most often? The United States because it’s close by; otherwise, there’s too many new places to go to do repeats.
- What one thing would change your life for the better? Remission!
- What decade did you enjoy most and why? I was a kid in the 80’s, and it was so much fun.
- What would you spend a £1000/$1000 prize on? Travelling!
- What was your favourite band as a child? I was a huge New Kids on the Block fan, particularly around grade 4-ish. I had an awesome NKOTB t-shirt.
- What could you not live without? Some type of internet-accessing device.
- What is your favourite play/musical/theatre show? Hmm, not sure. But Phantom of the Opera was the very first musical I ever saw, and I loved it.
- Which movie character do you identify most with? I can’t think of a serious answer so I’m going to go with April O’Neil from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Which person living or not, would you invite to dinner? I think I’ll go with the Dalai Lama, although I’m not sure what I’d cook for him.
- What is your favourite ice cream flavour? Ben & Jerry’s peanut butter half baked. Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter is a close second.
Questions from Imayormaynotkillmyself:
- What’s you’re favourite song and write a lyric from it that makes you love it so much. My current favourite is Praying by Kesha. A lyric I particularly like: “I’m proud of who I am. No more monsters I can breathe again.”
- If you could change your name to anything what would it be? At one point when I was in university I wanted to go by my middle name (Leia). I told my TA for math tutorial that I went by Leia; probably was, he’d say that name and it failed to catch my attention.
- Would you rather fly ,be invisible or be invinsible? If I could fly like Superman and avoid airplanes that would be very nice.
- Finish this sentence ” I would never ever try to …… eat an insect. I saw fried critters being sold in Cambodia, but I am not that daring.
- If you only had 24 hours on this earth who would you spend it with? My grandma, who’s 101.
- Which 3 words would you use to describe yourself? Guinea pig mama!!!
- which 3 words would you think others would use to describe you? I would rather not know.
- Truth or dare? Truth, like letting it all hang out on a blog…
- Tell the truth now have you ever cheated on a test? No, but in 3rd year anatomy I could see that my buddy sitting next to me was stressing out, so I intentionally tried to let him see my answers but he was too caught up hyperventilating to notice.
- I dare you to write a quirk that you have. It’s been a while, but socks on during sex. Icy cold feet are not sexy.
- If you could let others know one thing about you what would that be? I think by the end of all these questions you’re thinking no more! No more!
Questions from MentallyNotReyt
- What inspires you in life? It’s been really inspiring to read how other bloggers have taken on all that life throws at them.
- What small thing makes you smile? My youngest guinea pig is very energetic and she’ll go tearing around the cage like a bat out of hell.
- What is a memory you can never forget? Well, my grandma is 101 and dementing but still remembers things from when she was 10 years old, so probably I’ll always remember my childhood home.
- What is your favourite taste? Chocolate.
- Where is your ‘happy place’? My bedroom.
- Who has your heart? My guinea pigs have their mama and her heart wrapped around their little feet.
- Revenge or forgiveness? On a good day, forgiveness. On a bad day, revenge.
- Do you think lying is ever acceptable? I think “white lies” are acceptable. If there is no benefit to anyone in telling the truth, there is no chance of the truth coming out later, and the white lie could make the person feel good and the truth would make them feel bad, I would tell the white lie.
- What is a quote you love? “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius
- Where would you love to visit before you die? I would really like to go to Lhasa in Tibet.
- Is there an afterlife? I imagine that the energy within us goes back into the earth to support the creation of new life.
I’ve done a few of these award nomination posts before, and I’ve decided to try to nominate new people each time to spread the love around as much as possible. Please don’t feel obligated to do an awards post; I know they can be a lot of work, and I’m still not that confident I know how pingbacks and stuff work. As for questions, I figure why wrack my brain for new questions… instead, you can pick whichever 11 of the various questions I was asked that grab you the most. And as a side note, I wasn’t feeling sure if “wrack” was the correct spelling, and it seems that wrack vs rack is kind of po-TAY-to vs po-TAH-to. Anyway, back to business. The nominees are:
- Getting Out of My Own Head
- Lovely in the Dark
- Picking Up the Voices
- Popping the Bubble
- Ria Wolst
- Sall Good in the End
- Sarah’s Thinking Again
- She is so Wild
- The Well Sister
- Understanding Depression
So there it is, sunshine galore! And if you’re sick of learning things about me after all of these questions, that’s ok, I won’t hold it against you! Thanks again to Sibple: My not so simple bipolar life, Orange Walls, Midsummer Daydreamer, Blooming Bipolar, Blue Sky Days 365, Imayormaynotkillmyself, and MentallyNotReyt for the nominations! xoxo Happy blogging everyone 🙂