Wahoo, this is exciting! I’m loving this whole blogging thing, and it’s really great to be able to share ideas with all of you wonderful people in the blogosphere. I was nominated for this award by Shannon Diana, who mixes raw honesty, passionate advocacy, and fun lifestyle ideas all in one place.
The Rules of the award:
1. Put the award logo/image on your blog
2. List the rules.
3. Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
4. Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
5. Answer the questions you were asked
6. Nominate 10 – 20 people & notify
7. Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question (specify)
8. Share a link to your best post(s)
My Nominations: All of these blogs have amazing stories about mental health and I’ve learned a lot from them. I’ve tried to nominate people who haven’t previously been nominated for the award, but I’m not all that on the ball so I’ve probably made some mistakes. And I would love to nominate more blogs but am feeling a bit worn out. Such is life. Anyway, definitely have a look at these blogs.
- The Bipolar Writer
- Mental Health Diary
- A Journey With You
- Beckie’s Mental Mess
- Convolute Me
- Deanna’s Dark Diary
- Letters of Hope From the Soul
- Mentally Un(qualified)
- My Battle – the Struggles of Depression
- The Daily Struggle
- Let’s Talk Depression
- Be Your Own Light
3 Things about me:
- I don’t keep normal human being hours. I usually go to bed at 8pm and wake up around 3am.
- When I was 14 I did a school exchange to Japan and my host family fed me a fish head for breakfast. Um, thank you?
- I still remember from that same trip how to say “please sit here” in Japanese: “koko ni suwatte kudasai”. At least my memory isn’t entirely shot to shit.
My answers to Shannon’s 5 questions:
- What is your best achievement in your life so far? Probably completing a Master of Psychiatric Nursing degree, especially since based on my thesis work I ended up getting a couple of papers published in peer-reviewed journals examining my own experience of mental illness.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? I have no idea. I’m not really in a headspace right now to look much beyond tomorrow. Whatever I’m doing, I’ll be surrounded by a big herd of guinea pigs.
- What advice would you give your younger self? Reach out for help. Sooner rather than later.
- Why did you start blogging? I wanted to engage in conversation about mental health issues.
- What is your funniest moment? This wasn’t funny at the time, but I was at a train station in India in the middle of the night. I’d gotten confused about where to catch my train, and staff told me I’d missed it. I cried like a 5-year-old, and it worked. Turned out the train was still pulling out of the station. They radioed to the engineer, and an employee picks up my backpack and starts sprinting down the platform, with me huffing and puffing behind him. I was then able to leap onto the moving train. No kidding.
5 questions for my nominees:
- What would you want as a one-line eulogy?
- What has been your most funny (or frightening) toilet-related experience? Come on, it’s gross but you know you want to share!
- What is your favourite farm animal?
- What country would you most like to visit?
- What is the strangest food item anyone has ever offered you? (i.e. can you beat fish head for breakfast?)
Link to my best post:
I have no idea what my best post is, but the one that has gotten the most views by far is Let’s Talk About Sex (and Mental Illness). I’m not that into Pinterest, but I do create a pin with a link for all of my blog posts. Almost every day I’m getting a click-through from Pinterest to this post. Go figure.
Thanks again to Shannon for nominating me. This whole spreading the love award business is a lot of fun.