I’m used to expecting any news to be bad news, but today got a lovely piece of good news: Mentally(Un)Qualified nominated me for a Liebster Award! Thanks so much Chelsea! Her posts are genuine and make you feel like you’re talking to an old friend. She is able to inject hope even into difficult topics. If you haven’t checked out her blog yet, you definitely should.
Part of accepting this nomination is to mention one of my own favourite blogs. While it’s hard to pick just one, I’m going to go with Be Your Own Light, which was recently nominated for a Liebster award herself, along with a Sunshine Blogger Award. Eleanor is lovely and kind, and a great advocate for mental health services. She brings in some interesting guest bloggers to spice things up. Always a good read.
Here’s what I’ve come up with in response to 10 questions posed by Mentally(Un)Qualified:
- Why did you decide to start a blog? Because the best way to fight stigma against mental illness is to talk about it.
- What is your favorite passion that helps you relax? Cuddles with my pet guinea pigs – I have 4 and am well on my way to becoming a crazy cat lady-type person.
- Best concert you’ve ever been to? I really enjoyed a local symphony’s performance of Carmina Burana by Carl Orff.
- Which animal do you feel you are most like? A mongoose. I don’t even know what that is, but it just popped into my head.
- If you could live anywhere, where would you live and why? I would live exactly where I already live in Vancouver, Canada
- Favorite guilty pleasure snack? Cheese if I have wine to go with, otherwise Cheezies.
- What movie makes you cry every time you watch it? The Lion King, when Mufasa dies.
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 things would you need most? Toilet paper, a blanket, and a book to read.
- What is your biggest fear? Spiders
- What is your favorite memory? Any of my memories from travelling, even the gross 3rd world toilet stories.
Spreading the love… Here are some fabulous mental health-related blogs that I would like to nominate:
- The Daily Struggle
- Deanna’s Dark Diary
- Shatter the Stigma
- The Many Faces of Mental Illness
- All About Mental Health and Recovery
- Hope Galaxy
For these rockstar nominees I have 10 questions. They’re a bit odd but I’m having a hard time being creative at the moment:
- Do you have a tattoo?
- What is the strangest toilet-related experience you’ve ever had?
- If you had a farm what animals would live on it?
- What’s the best tv/movie portrayal of mental illness that you’ve seen?
- If you had to be either blind or deaf, which would you pick?
- What country is at the top of your list to visit?
- Do you ever drink pickle juice straight out of the pickle jar?
- How old is the plant you’ve had in your house the longest?
- If you were to pick one canned food to stash in your earthquake/flood/etc survival kit, what would it be?
- What public figure makes you the angriest?
Here’s what’s involved in a Liebster Award nomination:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This year I’m making this optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (you can copy and paste from here or simply link to this post). Once you have written and published it, you then have to.
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post or mine (Jack Henry) if you don’t have all the information so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it)! Post a comment in the comments below (on the website https://theglobalaussie.com/blog/liebster-award-2017/ ) so Jack Henry can view your post and check out your blog. Jack Henry personally visits each and every blog. He visited a few hundred last year!
Thanks again to Mentally(Un)Qualified, and I hope you can check out some of the blogs I’ve mentioned. Happy reading!